View Single Post
Dark Lord Galen

Old September 23rd, 2018, 09:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendall-DM View Post

Therefore, with an Intelligence of 12/2 returning 6, we get the following:
  • adding 1 point gives the result 6 1/2 (6 + 1/2 rank)
  • adding 2 point gives the result 7 (6 + 1 rank)
  • adding 3 point gives the result 7 1/2 (6 + 1 1/2 rank)
  • adding 4 point gives the result 8 (6 + 2 rank)
  • adding 5 point gives the result 8 1/2 (6 + 2 1/2 rank)
  • adding 6 point gives the result 9 (6 + 3 rank)

I believe this is what you are trying to get to, or am I misunderstanding this?
*** Somewhat long winded response**
Kendall,
Yes, Spot on.... the intent is to make it a "language" that is applied as a skill.
As mentioned it originated as a 2e "language" with a % roll to determine success. While I "could" choose to say its all or none like a "druid secret language" I Was trying to remain faithful to the origins that had some degree of variable that could be modified with a greater degree of intelligence on the character's part AND bring that application to a usable mechanic in a D20 3.5 Rule structure.

This is the reasoning behind taking the 1/2 value of the whole of intelligence and not just the modifier (since origin applied the actual attribute number not just the bonus). This approach puts the character with an 18 in intelligence and NO additional skill points at slightly less than 50/50% chance in 3.5e just like 2e. (Base 30% +18= 40% for 2e vs Skill Ranks untrained (18/2=)9 vs DC20 (45% for 3.5e)) And then allows the player a chance to improve the skill with anything after allowing the character to improve their chance of success by adding ranks as a cross class for everyone EXCEPT a Ranger (which I will handle independent of this part of the code once it works).

The reason I employ "language" as a moniker is because it is how it was viewed originally in 2e AND I add some code to have it show up in Herolab on personal tab under the languages for the player out of convenience as a reminder it's there for use.

The snap shot provided below ( {text 00FF} )also adds some HTML color coding to the text descriptor that tells the player items in "Green" are not core rules but additional "homebrew or previous edition rules" not in 3.5e PHB.

**Sidebar not anything to do with this piece of code but bigger picture of why I'm doing this. **

Generally, IMC we take language knowledge to a progressive level. While you can learn a language, you also develop a degree of expertise in that language. So to Speak Quenya (a form of elven in our campaign) you gain a basic conversational understanding (in this case a Language>Quenya - Ranks[1] shows in skills to go along with the language itself in the personal tab.

This allows the character the ability to have some basic communication skills in the language, but not proficient in writing it or speaking without an accent. Mastery of reading and writing it is at [5] ranks in that language. For basic communication this is a non-impact other than some roleplay confusions to word choices at times.

But when it comes to writings, and ancient languages this really comes into play.

With bards, and scholars become far more valuable when going through old tomes and maps when ancient dialects have old forgotten languages. So mastery of base languages as a prerequisite to read them (with a reasonable DC), makes those classes invaluable to access special spells and lost info that might not be known to the less learned. Without the additional training in those language skills, the DC to read the item becomes increasingly difficult.

Hope that clarifies.

D&D> Pre 1e White Box Edition, 1e, 2e, 3.5 Currently, Set in the World of Greyhawk (The first, longest running and Best Campaign Setting)
Software>Extensive use of all forms of MS Products, Visual Studio 2012, DAZ 3d, AutoCAD, Adobe Products.
Gaming Specific>Campaign Cartographer, D20 Pro Alpha & BattleGrounds Beta Tester, World Builder, Dungeon Crafter, LWD Hero Lab, Realm Works, Inkwell Ideas Citybuilder & Dungeon Builder, Auto-Realm, Dundjinni
Contributing Writer for TSR, WOC, & Canonfire
Dark Lord Galen is offline   #40 Reply With Quote