View Single Post
evildmguy

Old August 3rd, 2015, 04:04 PM
Interesting discussion.

I can talk about Syrinscape as I use it at the table. Both Fantasy and SciFi versions. I have used it for two different groups for a couple of different reasons.

I think Syrinscape is great. I have been trying to find and use background music for twenty years. I used to have CDs that i played in the background but would forget about them and not line up the correct action or thrilling piece with a fight, or a bar scene with a bawdy song. I can do that in Syrinscape. I won't say it's interface is perfect but it works. I can pick the elements I want and help set the mood with music.

What I personally have done is task my tablet with this at the table, so as not to bog down my computer. That works for me but not everyone can do that. Further, I received external speakers from a player, so it can be loud but I try and keep it at a level where if we are talking it fades to the background. So far, that has worked for my group.

As others said, this is something else that a DM has to do. When I used it I found it tough to remember to switch to something else. So my timing might be off. I got lucky and had a great solution for my group.

Two guys in my group are into music. Both majored in music in some way. I wanted to get them (and the others but they were easy with this) more involved and active in the game at the table, so I asked them to do it for me.

IT HAS BEEN GREAT!

One guy has gotten so into it that he will use the external speakers and his phone to find other sounds that fit the scene and play them. (At one point, in a really moving scene, he played the ending music from the Incredible Hulk TV show! It worked out very well!) For me, this worked out doubly well as it was a new player and helped him focus on the story to play the correct music or sound effect!

Now, I can't argue that it could be cost prohibitive for some. It does cost money. Is it worth it? Yes, for me it most definitely is. I want music and the possibility for sound effects, I want it tailored for my role playing games, and this does it for me. I'm fortunate enough to be in a position that I can just pay for this "service" rather than take the time to find the music player, find the music, and put it all together, freeing up my time for other things. I wouldn't be good at doing that, anyway, so this saves me a LOT of time.

Since I already used it, the fact that it's in RW is good, as I think it will give others some ideas on what they could do. Hopefully there will be more choices but this one isn't bad!

edg
evildmguy is offline   #49 Reply With Quote