Thread: Linux Version
View Single Post
Toblakai

Old March 6th, 2018, 07:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhwittek View Post
KBS666, thanks for the information. I did not know LWD was using .NET to code RW and HL. Since the are or were looking to hire a C++ programmer, I assumed the code was written in C++, and Linux was written in C and some of its libraries in C++, so porting would such code would not require much. .NET is a whole different beast. Though, that does beg the question what are they using to code with in OSX and iOS, since those are based on FreeBSD (UNIX) kernel? Duggan and Valyar, I was going to test with Wine here soon, but I had not heard of Mono. I will for it too. The name alludes me at the moment, but there is also a paid version of Wine also that might be able to handle RW and HL a little better. Any way All, thanks for your input. LWD, I reiterate that I will pay for another license for a native Linux port of RW and HL.

--
Best,
Mike
A port to linux would probably cost at least 1 man year of labor (probably more), in the silicon valley area thats at least $200k. There are probably not enough Linux using gamers out there to make anywhere close to a profit. Just use it in a VM.
Toblakai is offline   #8 Reply With Quote