View Single Post
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old February 2nd, 2009, 11:09 PM
In Dark Heresy, skills can be either basic or advanced. Basic skills can be used untrained, advanced cannot. I currently have my game system set up to bootstrap all the basic skills to every character.

Every career offers 0-3 pairs of skills to choose between as your character's starting skills. I've been using choosers for these selections, since each pair is independant of the others, and exactly one choice must be made from each pair. However, some careers offer basic skills among their options - selecting them would add a tag to show that the skill is now trained. However, because the skills have already been bootstrapped to the character, they don't show up for selection in the chooser.

Do I need to re-write the mechanics of skills, making their uniqueness more like d20, where a special unique tag is added? Or is there a better way to handle this?

BTW, I don't want advanced skills to show up in these choosers if they're already bootstrapped from another source, but I think I can handle that by checking that whatever is allowing skills to be doubled up only allows basic skills to be doubled up.

Last edited by Mathias; February 2nd, 2009 at 11:12 PM. Reason: Added an extra requirement to keep in mind.
Mathias is offline   #1 Reply With Quote