View Single Post
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old August 11th, 2010, 01:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawful_g View Post
Sorry fellas, would have replied to this earlier, but I was driving back from GenCon the last 2 days.
Welcome back, crazy man! That's one heck of a road trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawful_g View Post
As for the other question, .dat was the original files the editor created, at some point it switched over to .user files. I don't know why, but I have not noticed a difference. In fact, if you open a .dat with notepad and then "save as" with a .user at the end, it switches the type over to the other with no problems (although don't forget to remove the original .dat to avoid duplications).
There is no difference between the behavior of ".dat" and ".user" files for most game systems. The difference only arises for game systems where you have *both* ".dat" *and* ".user" files. That means D&D 4E and any other user-created game systems. In those cases, ".dat" files are considered "core" files if an error occurs during loading, with a recompile attempted that excludes the ".user" files.

We switched to assigning all user-created files a ".user" extension when we released the Authoring Kit. Anyone who created their own ".dat" files for other game systems prior to that time can continue using them with the ".dat" extension without any issues.
rob is offline   #34 Reply With Quote