Thread: GURPS Lite
View Single Post
Kairos
Volunteer Data File Author

Old May 8th, 2014, 05:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba_OH View Post
I play in GunbunnyFuFu's game and am up for coding. I use XML a little at work, so I understand how it works (I'm a programmer/analyst). I have hacked a little bit with the data files and have been successful making a few additions (not very hard).

I am a little confused about the thing_skills.dat file. Under Gun Skills, you have L.A.W. Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun & S.M.G. Down around line 3430, you have LAW and SMG (no periods). Is this a bug, or do I not understand this well enough yet (quite likely).
Hi, Bubba:

Sorry. New job is keeping me hopping.

I think what you're referring to is this:

Code:
<arrayval field="usrArray" index="4" value="S.M.G."/>
and further down, this:

Code:

elseif (compare(field[usrSelect].text, field[usrArray].arraytext[4]) = 0) then
     perform assign[Spec.SMG]
To put it simply, the first item is structure: it defines an array field and a set of values that provide content for a menu in a skills tab template.

The second item is script. Hero Lab uses a series of evaluation cycles to process the data files, and that second item is a part of a eval script which gets interpreted at a given phase of that cycle. This particular bit of code is simply applying a tag to the thing/pick based on the value the user selects in that array menu (the one defined in the first item).

Tag definitions can't have periods, hence the SMG.

Authoring Kit Rule Sets (now with functioning links!):

Qin: The Warring States

Doctor Who: Adventures in Time and Space

MEGS/BoH/DC Heroes (work in progress)
Kairos is offline   #26 Reply With Quote