View Single Post
jfrazierjr

Old May 19th, 2017, 08:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapedCrusader View Post
The MI Skills and MII Skills are wrappers for the actual Skill objects.

A gizmo is a place to hang things off of. It's an object-oriented thing.

Here's an example:
Code:
  <thing
    id="miDuelistB"
    name="Duelist’s Blade"
    compset="miMelee"
    description="This ornately worked rapier is very popular with duelists. It grants +2 to Fighting, +1 damage, and increases the wielder’s Parry by +2."
    summary="">
    <fieldval field="miAttack" value="2"/>
    <fieldval field="miDamage" value="1"/>
    <fieldval field="wpParry" value="1"/>
    <fieldval field="grCost" value="13150"/>
    <fieldval field="gearWeight" value="3"/>
    <usesource source="Fantasy"/>
    <tag group="WeaponDie" tag="2"/>
    <containerreq phase="Initialize" priority="2000"><![CDATA[
      source.Fantasy]]></containerreq>
    <child entity="fcMagItemP">
      <bootstrap thing="wpRapier"></bootstrap>
      <bootstrap thing="mieBlock2"></bootstrap>
      </child>
    </thing>
In this case, the gizmo is called fcMagItemP. The mieBlock2 is the wrapper for the Improved Block Edge. Magic Items got a little weird. It was my first serious project, and we had to do some interesting things to get it to work.
Thanks for the example, this will help some and I will add this(changing the name a bit and the id) to try this out.

You mentioned OO for gizmo. From what I have seen, many if not all of the magic items have fcMagItemP as it's gizmo. To me, that implies that fcMagItemP acts like a superclass or interface in java/C#(those are two languages I know semi decently)? Are then others and if so, when would one use one entity vs another?

The explanation of mieBlock2 is great and that part makes sense now. I see that that thing then just bootstraps the edge from the original core file.

Now on to miAttack and miDamage: I did some searching, and these are defined in miscellaneous.str along with a fairly decent number of other "mi*" things. These are what modifies bonuses to various traits and derived stats right? I ask because right above miDamage in that file, I see miParry, but in the above example, you use wpParry instead, so I am trying to figure out the discrepancy as to why?

wpRapier seems to be added to enforce an "IS A" relationship to the Rapier object. Ie, thing miDuelistB "IS A" Rapier. I assume this is correct?

Oh, and what is the
Code:
 <tag group="WeaponDie" tag="2"/>
thing for? I assume this says that the weapon does d6 die type in damage, but is this needed since it appears to "inerhit" wpRaiper. I assume it's required you would not put it there(or is that some type of override from the wpRapier object?)

Last edited by jfrazierjr; May 19th, 2017 at 08:35 AM.
jfrazierjr is offline   #8 Reply With Quote