Thread: Database Bloat?
View Single Post
kbs666

Old January 16th, 2017, 05:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob View Post
This is normal. Database engines typically behave this way. The data has been deleted within the database, but the file size is not shrunk. Once the database adds to its tables, it's both expensive and inefficient to delete that enlarged storage. Instead, the individual records are deleted, and the database stays the larger size. The next time that new records are written, they will simply reuse the internal space that's been freed up. So the database won't grow again for awhile, even if you add more material to it. The freed space will be reclaimed for use again.

Hope this helps!
There is something more going on than that.

Over the last several days I have made a copy of main realm a couple of times to convert to Pathfinder rules. I deleted the first attempt, assuming a second would not grow my DB, in order to get a log file. However when I checked the DB and the backups it became clear that the DB grew with each copy and the extra space is not being recovered.

I have not used the DB engine you guys are using but it is quite common in DB's for a delete operation to simply mark rows and tables as deleted but to not actually remove them. There may be a setting that needs switching somewhere.

my Realm Works videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZU...4DwXXkvmBXQ9Yw
kbs666 is offline   #6 Reply With Quote