View Single Post
Silveras

Old December 29th, 2016, 08:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbs666 View Post
I'm not thinking in terms of OGL or CUP. I'm thinking in terms of IP law. Paizo has a trademark on Golarion and certain other IP. They have to defend their trademarks against infringement or they can lose the rights to those trademarks. Allowing wide distribution of their IP without license even if free might be seen by a judge as sufficient to mean they have failed to protect their trademark.
The CUP and OGL *are* licenses to re-distribute content under certain conditions. The OGL requires that the license text be included with the re-distributed content, for example.

As I mentioned in my previous post, RW may cause Paizo to revise the CUP because of its potential as a publishing medium; at the same time, though, the PathfinderWiki is also a publishing medium, and they seem perfectly fine with it.

Certainly, the elements of the Adventure Paths and modules are far more sensitive for Paizo than the rules are. Plots, characters, names. artwork, and such are the core of their products and are more necessary for them to protect.
Silveras is offline   #13 Reply With Quote