View Single Post
kbs666

Old March 15th, 2018, 04:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by daplunk View Post
I think the reason they largely pulled out of conventions is quite clear. They are no longer as valuable as they used to be for them. I would challenge that conventions attract people who are already your customers and in a lot of cases attracts people from inside the industry or people wanting to be inside the industry. WOTC are focusing on mediums where they can attract not just original but new players as well.
I think conventions actually give game companies a chance to directly engage with "influencers" while WotC relies on the brand recognition of D&D as equivalent to RPG's amongst the larger public to allow them to be the default game for most people trying out an RPG or for parents buying an RPG for their kids.

I would suggest this is why 5e is succeeding and 4e failed. 5e is roughly what people expect and is simple enough to easily learn, and the beginners set is a very good one at that. While 4e was more aimed at experienced MMO players and not at the kid who has read LotR or Hobbit.

This does still mean WotC has less motivation to go all in at conventions but I think they are conceding the "advanced" and second RPG market to others simply by not showing up.

my Realm Works videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZU...4DwXXkvmBXQ9Yw
kbs666 is offline   #44 Reply With Quote