View Single Post
Parody

Old March 15th, 2018, 12:19 PM
I forgot to talk about the meanings of the various numbers (statistics being meaningless without context, after all).

Events
The count of events represent the total opportunities an individual attendee has to play that system. This is the number I care about as a player, and why it was what I posted first.

Player-Hours
Player-Hours represent how much of the attendee population's time could be spent playing this system. At Gen Con this is also how much money the attendees spend playing, as most events cost $1 per player-hour to play. This is the number Gen Con LLC cares about.

The in-between number that I think you'd find interesting is Players.

Players
Players represent how many different attendees could potentially play in a system over the course of the convention. For our two system groups, D&D had 10812 available player slots, Pathfinder had 11208, and Starfinder 2844. This gives Pathfinder ~3.6% more player slots than D&D and PF+SF ~30%.

Adding some responses:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Lord Galen View Post
Anyway, even with less than concrete data, the suggested trend, as Michael detailed above, shows a slip in WOC/Haz market share participation.
I'm not sure. The number of D&D events at Gen Con Indy has been growing over the last few years even without direct participation from Wizards/Hasbro.

Quote:
Looking around locale gaming shops in my area (Houston...), WOC presence is sparse at best.
At stores and conventions in Minnesota and Wisconsin I've seen pretty good attendance for PFS and Adventurers League, but more store space emphasis on D&D.

Quote:
Last year Gencon sold out and is on pace to do so again with excess of 60,000 attendees for the event...
Gen Con's individual attendance has been static the last couple of years, despite small variances in turnstile attendance. It's also likely to remain at approximately 61,000 as it was partially due to the Fire Marshal. I miss Gen Con Indy being somewhat smaller, honestly, but it is what it is.

Last edited by Parody; March 15th, 2018 at 12:53 PM. Reason: Adding more responses.
Parody is offline   #41 Reply With Quote