View Single Post
Dark Lord Galen

Old July 25th, 2014, 07:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by liz
Out of curiosity, what does your game table look like with Realm Works?
Unfortunately, David is examining a crash issue with my RW, but it normally occupies the space on my #3 monitor on the right, next to my world map, Journal, IM messenger & Calendar. I have hopes one day of incorporating all of those into RW and do away with the splintered effect of multiple programs.

Below is a view from my players end. We can seat 9 (10 counting me) comfortably, though generally only have 7 in attendance except for annual "Game-a-Thons".

The table has two 42" lcd TVs imbedded into the surface covered with 1/4" glass. We put grandmas old dining table to good use.. heeheh.... Seriously, got the table at Goodwill, but sure it was somebody's grandma's table (so far no hauntings).

The 52" behind the DM station allows me to display things that all could see.

Each player has a tablet PC. With Herolab, an IM Messenger, and MS Word installed.
  • This allows the Player to utilize Herolab to new potentials (see the effects of Rage or a spell adjust immediately for example). It allows me to collect all the PORs and reissue for each session electronically. (Would be nice to have it LAN Live to send/ receive changes but that's for a different thread elsewhere).
  • The IM Messenger allows me to receive or send private messages to each player & maintain a log of all IMs sent. (beats passing notes)
  • Lastly the use of MS Word is far superior to the Journal within Herolab (Hoping RW is an improvement there and that there is a sync between Herolab and the RW players addition allowing for current info without redundant typing)
[Photo1
  • The photo below is from the DMs perspective.
  • From here, I have Herolab, Herolabs Tactical View, and various Excel Spreadsheets on the left screen.
  • On the middle screen, (since its multitouch)I run the detail map and various other tools (ie weather generator, player vs DM viewable maps, etc) the multitouch allows me to scale on the fly.
  • The Right screen holds Realmworks, the IM Messenger, and the overview map of the area.
Photo2

Photo3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowChemosh
Quote:
Originally Posted by Originally Posted by liz
One of my GMs uses VTT but he projects it down onto the table (a pool table with a wooden surface funny enough) ... so we still use pirate ships and the like sometimes. We just make sure our VTT is updated along with our characters on the table.
I did that for many years also actually but we still used real miniatures as I have WAY too many to not use them.
Like ShadowChemosh, I have way too many actual figures to not utilize them. Been collecting since 1979, and stopped counting at 3500. They are housed in the cabinets behind the DM station. So I mix them with Pog generated tokens as needed. My players seem to like the old school minis because I tend to utilize them to represent unique encounters (ie primary npc, certain tribes of orcs, etc)

And like ShadowChemosh, I tried to utilize an overhead system, but don't have sufficient ceiling height, so I abandoned it for the LCD setup.

I realize We might have an extreme setup. Most people don't have a dedicated game room. But hey, some people hunt, golf, fish, etc... we are gamers..... and the overall cost is actually less than most would think....I'm thankful my wife supports my addictions..

*Edit* updated links
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo2lowrez.jpg (85.9 KB, 247 views)
File Type: jpg photo3lowrez.jpg (60.7 KB, 223 views)
File Type: png photo1lowrez.png (419.2 KB, 224 views)

Last edited by Dark Lord Galen; November 17th, 2014 at 12:59 PM.
Dark Lord Galen is offline   #14 Reply With Quote