View Single Post
Viking2054

Old June 12th, 2015, 05:00 AM
security for printing to PDF, as far as I know, involves putting a digital watermark in the printout that includes information that identifies the persons account that printed the information to PDF. That way the IP holder can show the license holder the PDF floating around the internet and they can examine it and look up the watermark to whomever leaked the PDF. Once that is done, the mass distributor of the PDF can face legal action by both the IP holder and the License holder.

Now, I don't know if RW will put a digital watermark in every PDF generated or only those sold through the content marketplace. I'd bet it will go in every PDF generated, just in case someone types it in themselves and then try's to distribute it. Although I think it's unlikely for someone to type in a module or source book into RW just to create a PDF. And if you buy a PDF off of places like Drive Thru, I believe they already do this.

I know of one author of novels that tried selling one book through Amazon's Kindle system and had it pirated... He blew a gasket on his forums and named the individual that put it on the internet. I think he also took legal action against the person. But he also took some social backlash from the people that like to pirate, he ended up closing his forums but he also stopped any and all distribution on the Kindle and I doubt he will ever release a digital book again or at least wait several years after the paperback comes out first.
Viking2054 is offline   #36 Reply With Quote