View Single Post
dungeonguru

Old July 17th, 2019, 10:43 AM
If you looked at the mandolin you'll see it bootstraps each spell with a tracker field and a couple of tags on each bootstrapped spell.
Fields:
Field ID: trkMax, Value: 1

Tags
Group ID: Helper, Tag ID: ItemSpell
Group ID: Usage, Tag ID: Day

Since each spell has its own trkMax, they are independent of each other.

For item spells that use variable amounts of charges, like say a wand of fire and ice that has 10 charges and can cast burning hands using 1 charge and frostbolt with 2 charges. You can tell the main item to have 10 charges and then bootstrap the spells but instead of giving them each a tracker field and usage tag it will look like:

boostrapped spell (burning hands)
Tags
Group ID: Helper, Tag ID: ItemSpell
Group ID: Usage, Tag ID: Charges
Group ID: ChargeUse, Tag ID: 1

the frostbolt spell would look similar except the ChargeUse Tag ID would be a 2.

these tags tell HL that each time you use the spell burning hands it pulls 1 charge out of the pool given to the base item (the wand).

The main problem I see with the charge pool is that HL outputs the maximum number of usages you can use for a spell on the sheet; so in my example burning hands has 10 checkboxes and frostbolt has 5 which looks like you should get 15 total charges and not 10. This is a problem with even the LW SRD entered stuff like the Staff of Power, so if you use printed sheets you'll always have the wrong number of boxes by each spell.

An example of this might be the Spider Staff from lost mines of phandelver I believe if you wanted to look at the .user file from the community.
dungeonguru is offline   #2 Reply With Quote