Thread: Tag Suggestions
View Single Post
Fox Lee

Old July 2nd, 2015, 12:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HippyCraig View Post
Hello, I was looking for some input on this. I was setting up a new category to cover spells for 5e, I wanted to create tags for different spell items so there searchable. I was thinking of creating different tag domains (Spells: Level, Spells: Class, etc.) Instead of creating multiple domains I thought of creating one domain, set explicit ordering and make it look like the following picture. Do any of you have any input to this type of setup, possible pitfalls using this, or am I on the right track to keeping things simple.
Personally, I think you (impersonal you) generally get better and more future-proof results when using the structures as intended, even if it isn't immediately obvious at to why. With tag domains in particular, there are lots of terms which would fit into multiple domains IF you grouped them by what you want to tag with them, rather than whether or not they are conceptually-related terms. If that makes sense.

For clarity, examples! The school of magic might also be a useful tag to apply to a class, feat or character, not just a spell. And why add class names to a domain intended only for spell tagging, when you could add them to the classes domain and use them on all the OTHER things that want to be tagged with a particular class?

So, in my opinion, it's better to get the tags from the domain where they belong, than to make a new domain just to group tags.

Fox Lee, The Art Gremblin
Invincible Ink - Original indie tabletop games on demand
The Square Fireball - Where it's 4th Edition Forever
Skies of Escarnum - Inclusive anime-flavoured 4e campaign world
HeroLab 4e patch contributor
Fox Lee is offline   #10 Reply With Quote