View Single Post
Greebo

Old September 20th, 2016, 11:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob View Post
And then how do we handle all the children of the topics that appear in multiple places? Do we replicate everything every time? That will quickly become unwieldy and a significant performance concern - especially once we have web-based access. This is readily handled for aliases because an alias is not the "true" topic. But if the "true" topic actually lives in multiple places, now what do we do?

The primary reasons for only having a single container are to (a) keep everything simple AND (b) avoid some complex technical issues that crop up.

The solution for having things appear in multiple places is to leverage relationships. Then it's easy to find what you want visually via either a Relationship View or a Link Web view. In many cases, the Link Web view is better for visual navigation IMO.

Do relationships not cut it for some reason? If so, what are the problems you're experiencing with relationships for this purpose?
To me, containers and relationships are two distinct things. A relationship anchors a topic in a complex net of, well, relations. Especially with topics belonging completely to other containers. Like the rivalry between two neighboring cities belonging to two different realms. Or the love between the members of to feuding houses.

To me, a container could and does indicate two different sets of relationships. Primarily it is a hierarchical type of belonging, like a fiefdom belonging to a realm or a mountain situated in a specific area, or a member of a familiy / group / order.
But it could also signify a temporal and / or lokal sense of belonging. So I would like to be able to put e.g. an important person in the container group of city he/she currently lives in. Or in a place he/she visits often.

How about the option to copy an alias (and just the alias) into a different container? This would allow us to drop single topics into different containers without moving the topic (and its contained topics) itself.

Supporting Calendar Campaigner

Tools: Realm Works, Campaign Cartographer 3+ and Add-ons, MapTools
Games: home brew world, Lord of the Rings (CODA), Shadowrun, Earthdawn
Greebo is offline   #6 Reply With Quote