View Single Post
Jemstone

Old May 13th, 2012, 05:35 PM
Having some trouble with the Authoring Kit, it seems. Hopefully someone can lend me a hand.

Before we begin, I am using Hero Lab on Mac OS X (Lion). I am proficient with Terminal, as I use Unix/Linux in my day job for more hours per day than I care to admit. I'm also an old hand at Mac OS "Finder Tricks" like showing invisible/hidden files, and have exhausted my library trying to make this work. Further, I have been doing my best to dutifully follow the Authoring Kit Wiki. I hope some assistance can be found!

My problem is that I am unable to locate the folder for the game system I am attempting to create. The folder shows up within Hero Lab when I attempt to Import File, and can be selected from within Hero Lab using the Editor, but when I attempt to locate the folder itself manually, it is nowhere to be found.

Steps to replicate:

- Develop Menu -> Enable Data File Debugging
- Develop Menu -> Create New Game System...
- Name system folder (use only lowercase letters and 0-9 numbers)
- Name game system (as per game book)
- Get confirmation system files have been created
- Switch to new system, verify it loads

Here is where the issue begins.

Firstly: None of the "Open File" options within Hero Lab and/or the HL Editor will allow me to edit the "definition.def" file. Folder is visible under "Data"*, but I cannot select the definition.def file. File is visible, but subdued and unable to be selected.

Secondly: Finder -> Applications -> Hero Lab -> right/ctrl-click application icon -> Show Package Contents -> Opens package -> internal folders visible. Navigate to:

-> LWD -> data* (more on this in a minute) -> list of game systems available... But no sign of mine.

So, what I've got here is that the application can see the folder, but that I cannot find it via Terminal, Finder, nor other means.

Further, that "*" I've used twice now indicates a very disturbing issue:

The folder in the package is labeled "Data" when viewed from within the program (the HLE), but "data" when viewed from within terminal and/or Finder. This may be a function of how the HLE views things (especially since through the HLE I can view the cache files for each game system). If it's not, however, there may be a file structure issue that could be causing some issues - especially if HL/HLE looks for case sensitive structures (I wouldn't think it does, but it might!).

So. I'm at a loss. I need to edit these files, but I cannot. Can't find them = can't edit them.

Any and all suggestions would be appreciated.
Jemstone is offline   #13 Reply With Quote