View Single Post
Kinnakeeter

Send a message via Yahoo to Kinnakeeter

Old June 5th, 2011, 01:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob View Post
Hero Lab supports a large range of game systems, and every gamer has a different idea of what the "right" character sheet design happens to be. Look at how many different character sheets have been produced by various third party companies over the years, let alone all of the custom sheets created by fans. Regardless of what we did, some would like it and others would hate it. So the best solution is to give users the power to create their own. Yes, there is some learning curve involved, but the mechanism uses a well-established standard that many people are already familiar with.

At first, this will be frustrating, since you want something *now*. However, after a little while, a number of users will put together some custom sheets and share them. Once that occurs, you'll be able to use those sheets or tailor one you like to your own purposes.
That's not my point, though. My point is that there was never any usable output from the beginning. The program is wonderful but half of the usability is in being able to create character sheets that are legible and helpful in a game. Unfortunately, the output that the program generates is not so. I can't just use a stat block and the printed output is ludicrous and sometime incomprehensible. I need more comprehensive information and I don't have the luxury of using a laptop for games. I talked to you personally at GenCon once about this.

I've had my copy of the program since 2007. I was lucky enough to get a free license from an RPG giveaway and have simply kept upgrading. However, I actually walked away from using HeroLab because of the output issue, even after I spent money upgrading to get all the Pathfinder datasets. I've been waiting for years, silently reading threads commenting on this, and sometimes responding. All this time we've been told something along the lines of "We're working on this", but now all we get is something we can't even manipulate in the program. At least your dataset editor is part of the program and is easier to use. For me, this is useless and, frankly, is a deal-breaker. I'm extremely disappointed.
Kinnakeeter is offline   #1 Reply With Quote