Thread: Softwar Piracy
View Single Post
Redbeard

Old July 5th, 2010, 04:43 AM
That's a fair point but it doesn't really mean you can't use a password system.

Consider this:

I get a machine, and install ArmyBuilder. I pay money and get my login validation. I use my password to validate my machine, which is now considered unlocked. I can do this on any number of computers.

When I am using ArmyBuilder, if my machine has a net connection, which most do, and AB requires in order to get updates, it sends my login credentials back to WolfLair's validation system, and is then considered active. WolfLair's system makes sure that no other active copy is claiming to be me, and sends a kill code back to any that are.

If I don't have a net connection, and I've already unlocked my computer, I get to use the program, just like I do now, without a connection, but I can't receive any new updates, because I'm not online.

I'm not going to go sharing my login credentials with people because I don't want my legal and paid-for program to stop working whenever someone I've shared with decides to launch their copy. On the other hand, if I forgot to log off on another machine, then when I launch on the current machine, that copy just disconnects.

Tying usage to specific machines is an obsolete paradigm that just frustrates users. I can get my email anywhere in the world on any computer. I can edit my google docs anywhere in the world, on any computer. I can play my legally purchased Steam products anywhere in the world on any computer. I can access my purchased music anywhere, on any computer. But I can't run ArmyBuilder the same way. There has to be a better way.
Redbeard is offline   #5