View Single Post
Duggan
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old February 13th, 2010, 12:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by n0valoco View Post
So referring to myself as an army builder due to the fact that I have been wargamming for the last 20+ years somehow is detrimental to the software that I have used on occasion at a friend's house that I bought for him? Nice...
Nope.

Quote:
Originally Posted by n0valoco View Post
I guess I'll get a C&D if I put down "army builder" as a hobby of mine on Facebook? LOL
Nope.

In neither case are you releasing a product including the trademarked name. *facepalm* Why is it that whenever a topic like this comes up, you get people who can't seem to get the distinction between using a name where it can be mistaken as a trademark and just using it? If you said something was a "mickey mouse operation," people would understand that it was shoddily built. If you claimed that a building was "a marvel of archetecture", they'd know that you were impressed by it. If you try to market "Mickey Mouse Peanut Cookies" or "Marvel Bedspreads", you're going to get people from Disney and... well, Disney on your back for infringing their trademark. Similarly, here, it's not people calling themselves "army builders" or saying that they enjoy "army building" or even saying that they're using an "army builder program." It's the people who are releasing "Bob's Army Builder" and "Army Builder 2010."

{shakes head} I know that kids aren't being taught the same things in school as they were when I was growing up, but when did they lose the ability to parse the English language?

Just because it always seems obligatory, not an employee of Wolf Lair, just a fan with enough knowledge of the legal system to know that they're doing the reasonable thing they need to to keep themselves from being crowded out of the market by knockoffs trying to ride their coattails by appropriating their trademark.
Duggan is offline   #13