View Single Post
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old March 7th, 2009, 03:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gilvagor View Post
I hope that this update will have the inventory system implemented. I'm extremely looking forward to that part. If it only had that I would be so happy.
Inventory gets really complicated when you introduce the requirement for "fuzzy matching". That's what I call it, at least. A large percentage of gamers are *not* purists. The goal is versatility and playing as wide a variety of army lists as possible. There are many models that can be readily used within units that they don't properly belong to. But if you put them in the back rank, nobody is really going to complain, as long as those models are roughly similar to the rest of the unit.

A "proper" inventory mechanism would allow the user to define the appropriate rules for how "fuzzy" the match can be for models in each unit. And the rules might actually change whether the user is playing in a tournament game or a friendly game with his buddies. That's something that I've mapped out, but the amount of work is beyond what I'm currently able to do. So we won't have "proper" inventory in V3.2.

That being said, we've also mapped out a less powerful approach to inventory that we believe will still be quite useful to a large percentage of players. There are a few uncertainties in the logic that we haven't nailed down yet, so we might find that it's a bust. However, we're definitely striving to get a reasonable first implementation of inventory management into V3.2. Keep your fingers crossed that the approach will work well. :-)
rob is offline   #12 Reply With Quote