View Single Post
Sendric

Old October 10th, 2020, 09:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodwolf View Post
You're right that the vast majority of them do not need a description but a few do.

For example:
Black and Copper (if my memory serves me) dragons have Darkness and Endure Elements respectively. They work exactly like the spell except the radius equals 10 feet per their age category. So it will need a custom description describing that.

And:
Black and White dragons have special spell like abilities that are either modified spells or modified multiple spells.

Black dragons have a Charm Reptiles spell like ability that works like Charm Person but only on reptiles.

White dragons have a Freezing Fog spell like ability that works like Fog Cloud and Grease.

Both will need custom descriptions to explain them. The spells that they memic can be tagged but the modifications have to be explained.

There might be more but I haven't polished the descriptions yet.
Freezing Fog can be it's own separate spell-like ability that uses the descriptions of those two spells in addition to it's own description. That would be my preference for special circumstances such as these.

SLA's that alter the radius can be given custom descriptions or have their livename modified to indicate the radius the spell can affect.

Spells that mimic other spells but only target specific types of creatures can likewise have their livename modified with a custom description.

Quote:
So far I have all of the MM dragons except silver and gold and there are 8 that need extra descriptions.
Awesome!

Quote:
Another option that I'm currently looking into is creating spells for the unique spell-like abilities without any mention of dragons. Then tie those descriptions to the sla file. I'm not marking for them to be on any spell list so they will kind of be hidden, but available for custom monster creation.

But there will still be a few that already have spells to tie to but need the extra descriptions for changes like radius.
I'd prefer to avoid adding new spells if we can help it. I think the options I outlined above is more than enough to cover our needs. If you need help implementing any of them let me know.
Sendric is offline   #1028 Reply With Quote