Thread: width of tabs
View Single Post
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old January 22nd, 2009, 11:49 AM
Maybe I can help, since I'm surrently working on a project with the authoring kit, myself.

It sounds like you'll need to make the attribute categories a separate compset from the attributes. In that one, design the display, min/max, and everything else like savage worlds' die type system, and leave the attribute compset more like the skeleton files version - just a straight number. The difference in the attribute compset would be that you draw a page from the skills - use the linkage functions you'll see demonstrated there to define a linkage between each attribute and its attribute category. Then, the finalize script of the attribute can display (as text), its value + the die size of its category.

Each column of your display might look like this:
CategoryA d8
AttributeA1 10+d8
AttributeA2 12+d8
AttributeA3 8+d8

I think I'd stack those collections vertically, rather than horizontally, or at least make that a row, so that you're only trying to fit 4 things across, rather than 5.

As another idea,

CategoryA d8
AttributeA1 10+d8 AttributeA2 12+d8 AttributeA3 8+d8

The category line would of course have a much larger font than its attributes, so that it filled up the available space. Don't forget that for visual organization purposes, HL does offer the option to put boxes around groups of things, that might be appropriate for the way your system depends on categories.

Don't forget to think about changing font sizes in order to make everything fit. The font size on the basics tab of the skeleton files was obviously chosen to look good as a two-column display.
Mathias is online now   #5 Reply With Quote