View Single Post
MNBlockHead

Old September 30th, 2017, 11:28 AM
I used to be very diligent with my session management. In the past, I used to:

Check off the reveal button for all appropriate topics, articles, and snippets.
Add date snippets to select articles/topics so that they would appear in the timeline.
Summarize the session in Game Sessions.
And create a User note in a Note Group I call "Session-Bridge Notes", which would have a copy of the last session summary, any events and downtime activity between sessions, and notes for beginning the current session.

I also have a separate spreadsheet where I note the session, briefly summarize the major events and have the dates in five different calendars.

Life has gotten busy, though, and now I often just use Session-Bridge Notes and my spreadsheet.

The session-bridge notes are all I really need since my players do not have Realm Works. But I want to use my home-brew campaign world for future campaigns and have the earlier campaigns baked into its history. So my excessive session-management is really mostly world building. That's why, even when I go a while without updating topics and articles with date snippets, I eventually do go back and do so and also update the game session.

If custom calendars are ever actually released, I'll be able to do away with my spreadsheet.

For me, the one thing that I cannot do without is my session bridge notes. I have this open from the start of the game and can quickly jot notes there during and after the game. So, if I get too busy to do anything else, I have the basics of what I need there and can go back and create game session notes, add date snippets, etc. after the fact from my notes.

Really, the User Notes serve the same purpose as the current notes you take on paper, as you described them. The benefit of using the User Notes, besides having them in the same system with all your other game content, and backed-up online, is that they will auto-link with other content. This also helps prompt me, in world-building mode, to update topics and articles that are linked to my session-bridge notes.

In addition to custom calendars, I with Game Session notes were integrated with user notes. For me, Game Session notes become an "also do", something I do after the fact. I would like that when I click on the button to start a game session I would open a user note under a special "Game Session" group. That way my game session notes have all the benefits and convenience of user notes. Game session notes as currently implemented are wonky and easily ignored. The only reason I bother with them at all is that I'm a bit of an OCD completionist. When I consider the process of creating game-session notes rationally, I don't see that they add any value at all over user notes, other than the time stamping and I usually have to edit or create the time stamps after the fact, because I'm always forgetting to start and stop a game session, whereas I never forget to have my session-bridge User Note open.

RW Project: Dungeons & Dragons 5th edition homebrew world
Other Tools: CampaignCartographer, Cityographer, Dungeonographer, Evernote
MNBlockHead is offline   #7 Reply With Quote