View Single Post
Parody

Old August 27th, 2015, 05:14 AM
When looking at those requirements, you should set aside the raw speed and also consider processor advancement. The last version of the Pentium 4 was released in 2006. The Atom processor in my Windows 8 (now Windows 10) tablet is much faster, despite having a lower maximum clock speed and a hugely lower power draw, and it runs Realm Works with no problems. Some operations are slower than my Core i7 desktop with much more RAM and so on, but it's acceptable to me.

Having said that, your Inspiron 9200's Pentium M is from the same era as the Pentium 4, is slightly better clock-for-clock. Its chipset maxes out at the minimum RAM requirement. (They were great machines for their era! I had the very similar 9300 back in the day.) I expect RW to run, but it might be sloooooow.

If you're looking for cheap lower-end machines, I like to look at corporate lease refurbs. They start around $150 and usually aren't that bad performance-wise. For laptops the screens usually aren't the greatest, but you get what you pay for. You might be better off waiting until you can spend a bit more money, as there's a lot of decent brand new machines starting around $400.

If you try it out on these machines, let us know. It'll be interesting to see how things work out!

Last edited by Parody; August 27th, 2015 at 05:49 AM. Reason: I almost always edit things.
Parody is online now   #3 Reply With Quote