View Single Post
Dark Lord Galen

Old July 28th, 2015, 08:04 PM
As others have already noted, I have little need for a sound for every spell casted or weapon brandished... to me this just turns it into a PC gamer mentality.

With that said however,
I do utilize a lot of background sound effects.... having a dedicated room to game in helps to do that.

However..... there is nothing like utilizing the surround sound under the table to add background of a loud market place as the PCs search around, or the creeks and drips of a dungeon crawl, or the tranquility of birds in the woodlands as they quest to thru the elven realms. To me this helps my players immerse to full effect.

On special occasions (we call them Game-a-Thons) twice a year, I do prep a special track to use in conjunction with the events..... A nice explosion from out of no where as the evil wizard arrives or a well timed battle music by Two Steps from Hell, brings the barbarian in the group to life! I have even on occasion, had Gregorian chants in the background when they visit a church or monastery, or howling winds as they went through the frozen north or high seas.....

The trick is that the sound should add, not become the game.. IMO

just my 2cp
DLG

D&D> Pre 1e White Box Edition, 1e, 2e, 3.5 Currently, Set in the World of Greyhawk (The first, longest running and Best Campaign Setting)
Software>Extensive use of all forms of MS Products, Visual Studio 2012, DAZ 3d, AutoCAD, Adobe Products.
Gaming Specific>Campaign Cartographer, D20 Pro Alpha & BattleGrounds Beta Tester, World Builder, Dungeon Crafter, LWD Hero Lab, Realm Works, Inkwell Ideas Citybuilder & Dungeon Builder, Auto-Realm, Dundjinni
Contributing Writer for TSR, WOC, & Canonfire
Dark Lord Galen is offline   #32 Reply With Quote