View Single Post
Madmaxneo

Old May 19th, 2015, 11:08 AM
All those mentioned are great programs. CC3 is probably the most versatile in the fact that it has so many add ons and there is so much you can do with it. Unfortunately it is expensive and if you want to take advantage of all it has to offer then it gets extremely expensive. There is a learning curve for just about any mapping program out there. But the easiest for me to learn was Dundjinni and it is a great program with many free add ons. I have used it to put maps on my TV along with a fog of war overlay so that the players could only see what their characters could see. If you have any graphics program experience then I would recommend Xara photo and graphic designer. I have used that to re-draw some maps of poor quality then use those maps in Maptools (or now Mote) to great effect. Even if you don't have any graphics programming experience it is much easier to learn than the other programs and there are literally terabytes of textures and images you can use to create any kind of map. Not to forget the loads of help you can get from forums like the Cartographers Guild, or the Xara graphics forums which not only has people willing to help you learn how to use the program but have loads of free maps. BTW, if your patient you can usually catch Xara Photo and Graphic designer 10 for around $39 and it usually gets to about half that during the holidays at the end of the year. I have developed a couple of maps in Xara but I haven't worked on any maps in awhile but that is going to change now that I will be using Realm Works for my current campaign.
Madmaxneo is offline   #77 Reply With Quote