Thread: Synch Process
View Single Post
Viking2054

Old April 24th, 2015, 05:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by meek75 View Post
1. If I don't need to share my realms with others (beyond myself) then why do I need to pay for that service?
2. Do I need to pay for cloud storage just for the privilege of using the marketplace? Are they going to charge us, so they can then sell us stuff?!
3. If I don't have cloud storage will I still be able to get RW updates and create new realms?
We have discussed some of this in other threads and if I remember correctly then:

1. You won't need to pay for cloud service if you don't intend to invite others to view your material on their own time away from the gaming table.

2. I don't think so, it would be asinine to charge you to buy stuff from them and I believe it was discussed in another thread and the dev team chimed in.

3a. I expect, like any other software, you get free updates most of the time. Other software provides free updates unless they have a major change or addition to the software and then they usually charge a small upgrade fee. However, as long as I've owned Hero Lab (another LWD product) I have not been charged for upgrades to the packages I've purchased or for updates to the base program. I'd expect Realm Works wouldn't be much different, except for the optional cloud service.

3b. Yes. RW requires a brief login to the cloud every time you create a new realm. This is to generate a globally unique identifier (guid) and register it in their database just in case you later want to buy some cloud storage and push your realm up so you can have your players then have access to your realm at their leisure. I am pretty sure they said they weren't going to charge just to create a new realm either. Once you have your guid's for your your realms you need not login ever again. You just won't be able to sync up to the cloud if you haven't paid for the cloud storage and you will have to use the backup tool in the opening screens tools in order to backup your realms.

Of course whatever Liz has to say in the next few days on the subject will of course trump my assertions.
Viking2054 is offline   #29 Reply With Quote