Thread: Calendar
View Single Post
MNBlockHead

Old December 16th, 2014, 10:20 PM
Aeon Timeline is not working out that well. It is a neat tool, designed to help writers create time lines for their stories or as background material for their fictional universes. It allows you to created data-rich timelines and you can create and use custom calendars for this purpose.

My problem is that I don't see any easy way to convert dates on the fly. I don't see a way to show a timeline in multiple calendar formats side by side or to toggle a date among multiple calendars.

My NEW plan (don't ask me how much time I've been spending starting and scrapping different ideas for dealing with calendars) is to create a Google Calendar for each custom calendar. Firs, I create standard Gregorian Google Calendar, which will match the CE dates I enter into RW. Then I create a Harptos calendar and enter as repeating events all the months, inter-month holidays, etc. Rinse and repeat for my other calendars. Google App's calendar offers great layering functionality so that I can toggle calendars on and off so that they are not cluttering my calendar in my day to day use and when gaming, I can hide everything but the fantasy calendars. Leap years are handled fairly inelegantly by taking the month, inter-month holiday, or intercalary days and entering them separately for leap-years and non leap years. Leap years are what may be the point in failure in all this. If I want to have thousands of years represented, I need to have all items repeated infinately. That's easy when you just need to repeat annually every X years. If you match your leap year date to the Gregorian leap year date, it isn't a problem, but none of my calendars work this way.

It may be that I just have a spreadsheet showing the conversion for a non leapyear and another for a leap year and as I entered events into RW just type the dates in the other calendar formats by referencing the days & months on spreadsheet.
MNBlockHead is offline   #190 Reply With Quote