View Single Post
Parody

Old September 30th, 2014, 10:03 AM
To me it's weird that an application that asks you to log in each time you start it up presents it like a standard login dialog but doesn't actually let you change the user that's logging in. (If you're no longer sure that the displayed username is yours then the only option they give you is to contact tech support!)

Letting you easily change the login user likely also requires putting each RW account's data in a separate account directory inside the directory storing the application's data. (The other option is to throw away the current downloaded DB, which generates all sorts of "what if there's changes" questions.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exmortis View Post
That maybe the case, but they are doing it wrong.
As much as software developers (like myself!) might like to change it, correctness in use of computers means very little. If a significant fraction of your potential users do something you need to consider that when making decisions, even if technically they're "doing it wrong". Sometimes the right decision is to support what they do, sometimes the right decision is to push them to do what you want. (Supporting Windows XP is a biggie in this arena right now.)

The real question, though, is how much does an issue actually affect your customers? I'm guessing very few will be hit by issues related to using a single user account, but I also think it's right to bring up what we've seen in the real world to make sure it hasn't been overlooked.

Last edited by Parody; September 30th, 2014 at 10:08 AM.
Parody is offline   #8 Reply With Quote