View Single Post
Zaphod Beebledoc

Old May 8th, 2014, 02:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by immotus View Post
For fantasy campaigns I prefer a very similar structure to what enrious posted. Mine is

World->Region->Realm->Province->Settlement->Structure->NPC->Item

Like some of the others here I am a bit lost in HOW I am going to use Realmworks to manage my campaigns. At this point, it looks like it's going to be a ton of work just figuring out how to get the heirarchy I want and to cull or alter the extraneous fields realmworks provides that I am not interested in.

It appears that it is possible to alter categories and tags BUT one needs to be careful as the program can't track the changes you make into another copy of the program. SO, if you change the people category into books and try to share it you will just have someone somewhere with their own version of realmworks tryng to figure out why the people category has a list of books rather than people.

This stops me cold. It leaves me wondering how much I can alter and how much it will break the program if I do and whether or not it can still link and track relationships in custom categories with custom tags.

I'll be honest and tell you right now, the ONLY reason I am still trying to figure out how to wrangle this data manager into a form I want it to have is because of the 'Fog of World' it promises it can do. I can't say I am happy with the 'we've thought of everything' structure it tries to push on me. Supposedly you can hide EVERYTHING and start from scratch BUT, can the program deal with it? I can only hope that it can because I am using it for a sci-fi campaign also and I have to change a significant amount of stuff for that. I'd really rather have it be blank than full of all this stuff I have to change. Not to mention that I don't even know if it will work when I do change it all.
I've been entering some mechanics data for a little game called Engine Heart.

I took an article template and made a copy of that category. I started entering data and changed the category a lot. There are now 3 different categories that I have created for it.

I went through a couple of iterations of each category before settling on a template for each that suited the game.

What I have done is create all the articles, so that the auto-linking works. Before copying the text, I then "Synchronised the Structure to Match the Category Definition", then bit-by-bit copied the info out of the rulebook.

After I had the data in the article, I "Removed Empty Snippets and Sections."

Once I got into the swing to things, this worked for me.

(Bit a ramble, but I hope I've conveyed what I did well...)

Sleet was enjoying a tasty beverage at his local tavern, when a Tarrasque showed up in the local area. He managed to valiantly get on it's back and ride it. How he did it is a mystery to this day...

RW: Engine Heart, I Love The Corps! Home Brew: Star Gate: Avalon, Monda Minutia. I'm good with: OpenOffice, Paint, Lego Digital Designer. & not so good with: Realm Works, Hero Lab, CC3+, GIMP, Cityographer, Hexographer, Fractal Mapper, AstroSynth, Inspiration Pad Pro. RW Kickstarter Supporter.

Last edited by Zaphod Beebledoc; May 9th, 2014 at 01:18 PM.
Zaphod Beebledoc is offline   #30 Reply With Quote