View Single Post
AEIOU

Old March 8th, 2013, 08:51 PM
I use a VTT for actual gameplay and will likely continue to do so. RW may do map reveals but that's only going to be useful (for me) for between sessions for tracking progression. You can't track character/NPC movement or effects or game mechanics or initiative or or or.... You can't integrate and automate many of the tedious parts of RPG's that bog the games down.

I know just enough to be dangerous.... Correct me if I'm shortsighted or don't understand the big picture, but I envision the following:

RW will be great for developing a game and maintaining continuity during and between sessions.
HL for building and tracking the nuts and bolts of each encounter.
VTT to actually play with both local and remote players.

Sure you can use RW for playing and revealing maps. Sure you can use HL for tracking combat. But a VTT is the better choice for actually running games if you want to use minis as it incorporates it all into one.

For me and anyone else using a VTT, making traps/hazards an NPC in HL will allow us to import into the VTT for actual game play and to import into RW for tracking on the maps for planning and continuity. If you make trap/hazard implementation a RW-only option without also implementing an export for VTT's, it will quite frankly be useless except as a reference to many of us.
AEIOU is offline   #266