Lone Wolf Development Forums

Lone Wolf Development Forums (http://forums.wolflair.com/index.php)
-   HL - World of Darkness (http://forums.wolflair.com/forumdisplay.php?f=52)
-   -   Edit Bp without validation errors (http://forums.wolflair.com/showthread.php?t=7631)

anivair June 7th, 2008 07:56 PM

Edit Bp without validation errors

I just started a game and I'd like to be able to assign starting BP for my players without them spending XP (it goes up one every 50 years, so I just assigned a starting BP based on character age). Any way to do this without screwing up the sheet for life (ie, making it an NPC) or screwing up the validation?

Leaps-from-Shadows June 7th, 2008 08:23 PM

You're supposed to be able to do it under the Personal tab, with the Permanent Adjustments option. However, that doesn't seem to be listed. You can change pretty much everything else there, but BP is missing...

anivair June 10th, 2008 10:43 AM

yeah, i saw that. Very odd. If they patch it (you'd th ink it would have been the first thing on the list) that'll work, but otherwise, I guess I'm going to have to adjust the starting XP retroactively.

Also, is there a way to allow for free stuff, or should I create custom merits for that? I'm not charging for city, covenant, or clan status in my game, I'm just assigning it.

rob June 10th, 2008 12:51 PM

At 11:43 AM 6/10/2008, you wrote:
Quote:

yeah, i saw that. Very odd. If they patch it (you'd th ink it would have been the first thing on the list) that'll work, but otherwise, I guess I'm going to have to adjust the starting XP retroactively.
This has already been fixed on our end and will be in the next release. We're in final testing right now.

Quote:

Also, is there a way to allow for free stuff, or should I create custom merits for that? I'm not charging for city, covenant, or clan status in my game, I'm just assigning it.
If you add a merit through advancement, HL will default to the normal XP cost. But you can override the value with whatever you want, including zero. So just add the status merits via advancement and assign an XP cost of zero. Then you'll be good to go.

Another option for creation is to add a permanent adjustment that increases the number of dots the character is allowed. Then the extra free dots can be assigned to status merits. Lastly, you can create your own status merits and assign them no cost.

Personally, I think the advancement method is best, since free dots for status merits can be just as easily assigned *after* creation, but you can choose whichever method you prefer. :-)

anivair June 10th, 2008 06:10 PM

thanks. zero XP dots will work just fine for status. And the BP edit will solve my problems there. I've already added a custom contacts merit (I use a bottomless one dot version that works like languages). I think I'm about done making huge house rule edits, heh. now to get started on custom bloodlines.

rob June 11th, 2008 01:42 PM

At 07:10 PM 6/10/2008, you wrote:
Quote:

now to get started on custom bloodlines.
You might consider contacting Pollution about the bloodlines. If you're using bloodlines out of some of the supplements, I'm pretty sure he's already done a lot of the work and would probably consider sharing some of it with you.

anivair June 13th, 2008 06:36 AM

I am using a few published bloodlines, though at least one is entirely custom (though I will gladly share, because I think it's brilliant and once it's done I'll probably post it somewhere and link it here).