Lone Wolf Development Forums

Lone Wolf Development Forums (http://forums.wolflair.com/index.php)
-   HL - Pathfinder Roleplaying Game (http://forums.wolflair.com/forumdisplay.php?f=62)
-   -   Help with Custom Race (http://forums.wolflair.com/showthread.php?t=52370)

direinsomniac February 28th, 2015 11:05 AM

Help with Custom Race

I am designing a race in which:

1) at the start has to choose an elemental energy type
-- which will grant them an energy resistance equal to 10 for the chosen type

2) based on that selection, if they choose to place a Sorcerer, they get a favored bonus to elemental dmg dealing spells, similar to the Kobold's FCB for Sorcerer.

So what I am trying to figure out is how to
A) Create the initial user selection for the energy type -- I not sure whether to use Racial Special or Racial Custom Special.

B)Write the Eval Script for the FCB to reference their chosen elemental energy type.

Portilis March 1st, 2015 12:48 AM

For the resistances, I'd recommend looking at Aasimar, Tiefling, or one of the elemental-based player races (Sylph, Oread, etc) to see how they do it.

For the bonus to sorcerer spells, similarly I'd have a look at how that kobold bonus is implemented, as that should give you the basics of what you need for your race.

direinsomniac March 1st, 2015 06:21 AM

I am already aware of the Kobold's FCB for sorcerer, which is why I mentioned the FCB I was trying to create would be similar to it.

But the issue is that I am trying to figure out a way for the bonus energy type for the FCB to be automatically assigned based on the initial user selection for racial resistance.

Fuzzy March 1st, 2015 11:13 PM

I think he was trying to recommend you do it like the tiefling's elemental resistance, so you'd copy their resistance, and then modify THAT to add the selector to it. This should then show the drop down in the same way the human's ability score has a drop down. You'd just have to alter the tagexpression to limit the choices to the elements. Then, in your eval script, you'd have to have some logic to apply the right resistance depending on what was selected.

Exmortis March 2nd, 2015 05:49 AM

Do you have the Advanced Race Guide?

direinsomniac March 2nd, 2015 11:11 AM

Yes, I do

ShadowChemosh March 2nd, 2015 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by direinsomniac (Post 205005)
Yes, I do

So what exactly does this mean? Option One: I have the ARG and I will look at those scripts to see if that will help me out. Option Two: I have the ARG and I already looked at need more help.

If you are at option two then you should "post" what your script looks like so far and what kind of issues you are getting.

In regards to your "Number 1" question I would say take a look at the Dragonborn race I have posted in THIS thread. As it has the ability to select an energy type for its breath weapon and it gains Resistance to the same energy type also. As its a .user file you can open it up and take a look at it if you want.

Exmortis March 2nd, 2015 11:43 AM

Thanks Shadow, you beat me to it, I have found that by looking at all the optional racial features and abilties I was able to "adjust" or "tweak" those scripts to work.

For the few that stumped me, a quick post here got me back on track.

direinsomniac March 2nd, 2015 11:57 AM

I downloaded and unzipped the file for the Dragonborn, but I can't get the file to open.
I have tried to "Open With" Hero Lab, no success...
I put it in the same folder as all the other .user files, and it's not registering--even though it's a .user file, the file icon is showing a .exec.

I am using a Mac, and do no have access to a Windows computer

direinsomniac March 2nd, 2015 12:25 PM

I manage to get the drop-down list to show up in the [Racial, Template, Faction Abilities] section of the Background tab by selection the "Energy Type" from the [Item Selection].

However, the Eval Script doesn't seem to be doing anything.

Code:

{Post-Levels / 10000}
~if nothing's been selected, there's nothing we can do
doneif (field[usrChosen1].ischosen = 0)

if (field[usrChosen1].chosen.tagis[BloodEner.Cold] <> 0) then
  #applyresist[xDamRsCold,10]
elseif (field[usrChosen1].chosen.tagis[BloodEner.Elec] <> 0) then
  #applyresist[xDamRsElec,10]
elseif (field[usrChosen1].chosen.tagis[BloodEner.Fire] <> 0) then
  #applyresist[xDamRsFire,10]
elseif (field[usrChosen1].chosen.tagis[BloodEner.Acid] <> 0) then
  #applyresist[xDamRsAcid,10]