Lone Wolf Development Forums

Lone Wolf Development Forums (http://forums.wolflair.com/index.php)
-   Warhammer 40,000 (http://forums.wolflair.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   [SM AB3 & AB2.2c] Space Marines Drop Pod (http://forums.wolflair.com/showthread.php?t=5534)

goblinshoppe May 31st, 2005 06:46 PM

[SM AB3 & AB2.2c] Space Marines Drop Pod

The Space Marines Drop Pod entry for both AB3 and AB2.2c is incorrect.

The basic cost for a Space Marines Drop Pod is 30 points. A Drop Pod is armed with a Storm Bolter. As an option, a Drop Pod can be upgraded to carry a Deathwind Launcher at +20 points. (Source: Space Marines Codex, page 35). The operative word in the options listing for the Space Marines Drop Pod is "upgraded". In this case "upgraded" means that for 20+ points the Deathwind Launcher takes the place of the standard equipment Storm Bolter.

The Space Marines Drop Pod was never intended to have both the standard Storm Bolter and a Deathwind Launcher. At present there are numerous Space Marines players warping the rules by playing Space Marines Drop Pods with both the standard Storm Bolter and a Deathwind Launcher. Considering that at anywhere else the point cost of the Storm Bolter and the "Power of the Machine Spirit" would cost 35 points the Space Marines Drop Pod is a steal at only 30 points.

Charles C Caro

HakujinGrande June 1st, 2005 03:41 PM

No where in that entry does it say that the Storm Bolter is replaced by the Deathwind, so I am inclined to disagree. The "Power of the Machine Spirit" is also only half as useful on the Drop Pod when compared to other vehicles because the DP does not move once landed. Even if both weapons are on the DP, only one may be fired by the POTMS each turn. In order to fire both weapons, you must leave Marines in it.

Ghaz June 2nd, 2005 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HakujinGrande
In order to fire both weapons, you must leave Marines in it.

Which you can not do, as the rules state that the Marines must immediately disembark after the drop pod lands.

However I do agree wih you that the rules do not state that the Deathwind launcher replaces the storm bolter, simply that the Deathwind launcher is an upgrade for the drop pod.

goblinshoppe June 4th, 2005 03:40 AM

An individual that had been part of GW's former Outrider program had jumped all over me when I allowed Drop Pods with both Storm Bolter and Deathwind Missle Launcher in an event. My error was in accepting his answer. I have since learned that both weapons can be taken.

Having said that I will say the current Drop Pod cost at 50 points with both weapons is just beyond bent because for any other vehicle the cost of the Machine Spirit and Storm Bolter alone would usually be 40 points. In effect the player winds up getting the Drop Pod delivery system with armor gratis. An all Drop Pod army would effectively deny an opponent their first two turns of shooting.

HakujinGrande June 5th, 2005 10:39 PM

It may seem cheap, but you must bear some things in mind:

1) As stated before, you can only fire one of the weapons each turn, not both.
2) The thing only fires at BS 2, that's not real accurate.
3) You lose half the capabilities of the POTMS because the Drop Pod is immobile.
4) Because the Drop Pod is immobile, your opponent automatically gets at least half it points in VP the second it lands.
5) The range on the Deathwind Laucher is 1/4 the range of the standard missile launcher, and launches only +1 STR frags.

The_Librarian July 11th, 2005 08:55 AM

[quote="HakujinGrande"]4) Because the Drop Pod is immobile, your opponent automatically gets at least half it points in VP the second it lands.
quote]

Actually the rules for VPs state that you must damage or destroy the vehic.es. Nothing about gaining them simply because the model/vehicles begins that way. But I wouldn't be grudge a meesly 15 vps when I am smacking him around with meltas at point blank range :wink:

Deathiwind is pretty much a worthless upgrae IMO. Like you said HakujinGrande, you can only fire one. But with the upgrade you lose the cheap transport option. Also the SB has a far greater range....it truly irks your oppoenent when you are long balling shots from the other side of the table with a piddly SB on a drop pod no less....