Lone Wolf Development Forums

Lone Wolf Development Forums (http://forums.wolflair.com/index.php)
-   Hero Lab Discussion (http://forums.wolflair.com/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   Mac version status (http://forums.wolflair.com/showthread.php?t=14278)

bloodfang October 25th, 2011 12:02 PM

Mac version status

Any updates on the Mac port, it's wasn't mentioned in the latest monthly news letter.

Mathias October 25th, 2011 12:47 PM

The monthly newsletters generally come out in the last few days of a month, so the next one will likely be sometime later this week.

bloodfang October 26th, 2011 03:02 AM

Does that mean there will me some mac updates in it :)

mirtos November 11th, 2011 10:24 AM

where/how do i get/read the monthly newsletter?

Duggan November 11th, 2011 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mirtos (Post 65390)
where/how do i get/read the monthly newsletter?

Go to http://www.wolflair.com/index.php?context=newsletter. There's a signup link and archives of prior newsletters.

JStreet December 14th, 2011 01:19 PM

Will there be an open Beta or a way to sign up like Realmworks has?

Mathias December 14th, 2011 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JStreet (Post 67356)
Will there be an open Beta or a way to sign up like Realmworks has?

Please follow the newsletter link that Duggan posted. This is discussed in the most recent newsletter.

Zulithe December 30th, 2011 08:04 PM

The official Mac release is scheduled for sometime in January, but the newsletter does not talk about pricing at all. Are we lead to believe that hero lab licenses are platform agnostic? This would be very nice.

Mathias December 30th, 2011 08:19 PM

They are platform agnostic. (This was in the July issue of the newsletter - check Duggan's post earlier in this thread for the link to all the newsletters)

Colen December 31st, 2011 10:08 PM

Mac beta signups are now open - check our December newsletter for details! Spots are first come first serve, so sign up now if you're interested!

SAbel December 31st, 2011 10:21 PM

Any way this will work on an Ipad (Santa brought me one :)

But I am still a PC for computers

Foz January 1st, 2012 01:08 AM

In which forum do we post feedback & errors etc for the Mac beta?

Colen January 1st, 2012 08:48 AM

Please post them in this forum for now. Thanks guys!

Foz January 1st, 2012 09:43 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Ok, first error...
After installing 3.9 on my Mac, downloading the 4E framework, and loading my backup hl with the DDI info. I attempted to load the por file and got an error about it being created on a previous version.

The logfile mentioned said this...
Portfolio created with different version of product. Compatability is unknown but attempting load anyways.

After this error the por loaded correctly.

I have attached a cap of the error.

Colen January 1st, 2012 10:36 AM

For some games (right now I think only 4e) we give you this warning when you transition between versions of the product or data files, because we don't have complete control over the data for the game. It's possible that the material in the D&D Compendium could change and make certain aspects of characters not work, and there wouldn't be anything we could do about it. :(

In this case (going from HL3.8 to 3.9) there shouldn't be any problems, so the warning is more of an informational message.

rushtong January 1st, 2012 02:25 PM

Windowing problem

1 Attachment(s)
Hi All,

First off, thank you so much for this product! I've been a reluctant customer using HL on VirtualBox for a long time now.

I got into this strange condition where a confirm import/download window was hidden and unavailable, and a HL screen got stuck in front of other apps.

Steps:
1. Open HL and download large game system. In this case, I was downloading Pathfinder which is ~75 MB.
2. Alt-tab to a different program. You can see from my screenshot that I switched to Chrome and tooled around the beta page to re-read the known problems.
3. Later, HL alerted me from the dock that something was up (the bouncing icon thing). I knew that it was that the download was finished so I alt-tabbed back to HL.
4. The confirm window was not available. Nothing I did could bring that confirm download message to the fore. I was eventually able to just hit enter and it triggered the confirm button, so I know the window was active ... it just wasn't visible.
5. The other oddity was that the "Select A Game" window was stuck in front of Chrome. Tabbing to Chrome didn't send HL to the background, the "Select A Game" window was still in front of it. Chrome was the active application as I could navigate what I could see, etc., but the HL window didn't release it's position as the foremost window. I think the "Select A Game" window was hiding the confirmation window.

Haven't hit any other issues yet, but I'll be digging around as best I can.

-Greg

UndeadDan January 1st, 2012 04:55 PM

Had the same issues as Rushtong. Switching between applications seems to cause odd behaviour with the Hero Lab windows.

TehBagder January 1st, 2012 05:15 PM

Just been accepted into Beta, downloading it and installing packages now. Just in time for me to finishing tweaking the Pathfinder characters I need for next week's new campaign...

dgarsys January 1st, 2012 05:37 PM

HI guys.

FWIW - downloaded and updated the mac version. Copied my current .por file out of Vista running via VMware, and it opened fine. License seems to have transferred without a hitch.

So far, at first glance, stuff seems to be working. More later as I play with it. We've got a game in two weeks so I'll have a chance to 1) build some new characters, and 2) rebuild my current character from scratch to compare and contrast.

TehBagder January 1st, 2012 05:59 PM

After installing the custom .user and .1st files I was using in Windows for this set of Pathfinder characters, the portfolio imported into the Mac version without any issues. Excellent job guys!

egg_green January 1st, 2012 06:29 PM

First, let me say that I am very much enjoying the mac version. Thanks very much!

I have two items of note so far, and one question:
1) When importing new data files, it would be helpful to have a progress indicator. As it is, I hit "import" and got a beach ball for several seconds while the import was underway. I would prefer a modal status dialog saying that the import was taking place. It's possible that this dialog is showing up underneath the previous window, as I have seen those sorts of issues before, but I don't know for sure.

2) Reverse tabbing (shift+tab) does not work correctly when tabbing through the date fields on the Journal tab. For example, create a new journal entry, click to place the cursor in the Title field and type in a title. Then press tab and type in a year. Press tab again, and the cursor is in the Month field. Press Shift+tab, and the cursor should go back to the year field, but instead it does nothing.
After this happens, pressing Tab again will highlight the character name on the top of the form, rather than moving on to the Day field.

Finally, a question: would you prefer to have us post bug reports to this thread, or create new threads, or just email you directly?

Thanks again!

PS - For the record, I am running Mac OS X 10.6.8 on a 24" iMac (2GB RAM, 2.8GHz Core 2 Duo). This was a Pathfinder Society character.

egg_green January 1st, 2012 06:43 PM

Also, I notice that on the Configure Hero screen, the tool-tips for hovering over the different options are all appearing at the top-center of the dialog (which I assume is what was meant by the item in the release notes). However, all of them just say "Choose the settings for your hero" rather than giving an explanation of the option in question. I can't recall if this is normal behavior, or if it should be showing a description of what, for example, "Hide Unusable Skills" actually does.

TehBagder January 1st, 2012 07:11 PM

I've got the error in this thread appearing on the Mac version: http://forums.wolflair.com/showthread.php?p=68134

egg_green January 1st, 2012 08:00 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I'm noticing some significant lag when scrolling through the equipment list on the "add a weapon" dialog. When I use the scroll wheel to scroll down the list, I am able to "queue up" several scrolls' worth of movement that then executes one screen at a time. This can take several seconds if I were scrolling far down in the list.

I also notice that if I click the "Everything/Only valid items" dropdown while this is happening, the dropdown will not appear until the list is finished scrolling.

OK, I found another issue after typing this. After narrowing the list to "only valid items" and adding a weapon to my hero (in this case, a sickle) by hitting "Add & Close", the Weapons tab stopped responding. I tried to click the checkbox to equip the sickle, but nothing happened. I was also unable to bring up the Choose a Weapon dialog again. After clicking around a bit, I was able to switch to the Armor tab, but when I switched back to Weapons, I was still unable to check the box.

After Saving the portfolio, I was able to go back and equip the item, so I suspect this is something in memory, rather than an issue with the file. However, I have attached it just in case. Now that I have saved the portfolio, I have not been able to reproduce the problem.

I did notice that in some of my testing while typing up this post, when I Command+Tabbed away from Hero Lab while the Add a Weapon dialog was open, the dialog disappeared. I haven't been able to get this to happen consistently, though -- usually, it stays up, but sometimes it disappears as long as Hero Lab does not have focus. Also, the issue with the list not performing well seems to be directly related to the number of items in the list. When I filter to only valid items for the weapons on this character (45/257 items), the scrolling is still a little bit sluggish, but not nearly as bad as when the entire list is shown. It seems like the list is not virtualizing properly.

Again, I am running OS X 10.6.8 on a 24" iMac with 2GB RAM and a 2.8GHz Core 2 Duo processor.

egg_green January 1st, 2012 08:17 PM

1 Attachment(s)
OK, here's another one: the tooltip for the Intimidate skill looks weird, as though some of the text is repeated and offset. See the attached screenshot.

Thanks!

rushtong January 2nd, 2012 06:18 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Got this stack dump when trying to quit HL today. I have it running on a year-old macbook air.

Siminic January 2nd, 2012 06:43 AM

Excellent beta so far; thanks for opening it up.

My issues so far:
  1. information about yourself (licence activator)
    sticky country selector (need to select right on letters, not on line)
  2. import status screens (process meter screens, etc.) not linked to screen underneath
    if you move them, they will get 'stuck' below your visible screen
Otherwise, beta works well, and equivalently to Windows version, in terms of expectations. I will keep reporting issues as I find them.

dgarsys January 2nd, 2012 09:30 AM

2 Attachment(s)
OK.

OSX 10.7.2 on Macbook Pro 15"/2.2GHz i7/AMD Radeon HD 6750M 1024 MB/4GB RAM

Installed, ran great so far, both the fighter and the 1st level cleric I made imported just fine. I've correlated and retweaked them and changes all seem to be appropriate.

1) - while I'm happy that you guys didn't utterly ignore the <program name menu> -> Preferences convention on the mac and supplied the note about the settings menu, part of me still wants to see a preference pane that covers the same ground that's in the settings menu entirely, either side by side, or as a total replacement for the mac version as a GUI to turn on and off the settings options or access other settings windows.

2) You don't currently support 10.5, but DO support 10.6, so I understand why the file/save standard is save/save as instead of the newer 10.7 save a version/duplicate variety. I also don't know what kind of work will be involved in implementing that as it's something I haven't looked into myself, but you may still want to consider it since that's the direction OSX is going in.

3) GENERAL SUGGESTION: On the gear page, is it possible to have it show, instead of just that little "it's in something" icon, the name of the item that is holding it? Also, is there an option to sort or group by containers? If not - can we do that? IIRC this is the same as the windows version in this regard.

4) GENERAL SUGGESTION: For PFS games there are special boons/etc. that are received ( "+2 charisma checks" with certain dwarf tribes), as well as certain items that you can purchase based on which adventures you survived/etc. I'm currently putting these in "Background details" under the "personal" tab as this will show up in character sheets/etc.

Is there some way to make the journal notes visible without having to click on the edit button, so that you can easily keep this stuff in one place and still have it readily accessible/print out on character sheets?

5) Under custom outputs, the css/div layout for the "ancient one/powerful" character custom html sheet format is utterly broken in Safari 5.1.1/mac (included)

6) Back to the personal tab. The background Details field does not scroll when a mouse wheel is moved, or have a scroll bar available when the text uses up more than the visible space. ( note: Yes, I'm running Lion, but I've changed the system-wide settings so scroll bars should always be visible)

Clicking in the field to place the cursor, and hitting down arrow WILL reveal more text.

dgarsys January 2nd, 2012 09:47 AM

OSX 10.7.2 on Macbook Pro 15"/2.2GHz i7/AMD Radeon HD 6750M 1024 MB/4GB RAM

Every time I start up HL it asks me to initiate a new character portfolio, instead of opening the last one I had opened and saved when HL was last quit.

Is this expected behavior. I can't be entirely sure if this holds true on the windows side as I rarely quit HL there - I just suspend the VM.

DarthBeaver January 2nd, 2012 10:04 AM

I have been able to completely by-pass the SN check on the Mac Beta. I don't want to post the steps here though incase it gets snarfed by a web crawler. Who should I PM with the info?

egg_green January 2nd, 2012 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dgarsys (Post 68242)
Every time I start up HL it asks me to initiate a new character portfolio, instead of opening the last one I had opened and saved when HL was last quit.

Is this expected behavior. I can't be entirely sure if this holds true on the windows side as I rarely quit HL there - I just suspend the VM.

That is the way it usually works on Windows. So it is at least working as designed.

egg_green January 2nd, 2012 12:39 PM

A quick note: the Command+W keyboard shortcut to close the current window does not seem to be working. Command+Q does close the app, but Command+W does not. Note that even in other applications where there is only a single window (e.g. iPhoto), pressing Command+W does close the window (and thus, the application).

sak0232 January 2nd, 2012 01:18 PM

Same here!

Quote:

Originally Posted by TehBagder (Post 68209)
I've got the error in this thread appearing on the Mac version: http://forums.wolflair.com/showthread.php?p=68134

sak0232 January 2nd, 2012 01:21 PM

Can't Open Editor

I was fooling around with .user files.
I deleted one of them, and now I can't seem to open the Editor.
Is it looking for the .user file?
Can I get around this somehow?

dgarsys January 2nd, 2012 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by egg_green (Post 68258)
That is the way it usually works on Windows. So it is at least working as designed.

Awesome... thanks.

As a side note on Cmd-W Mac conventions, closing out the last window actually usually leaves the App open, with no open windows. The relatively few exceptions are those like iPhoto where there really is only one window for the most part.

I'd say in this case - the "only one window" iPhoto-style quit on closing the last window would be appropriate.

I'd also note that when they get around to adding Lion-style features, HL would be a great candidate for Full Screen mode.

TehBagder January 2nd, 2012 05:38 PM

I know that HLExport isn't working properly in the Mac version yet, although the option is there. Just wanted to say that when I do test it (just to see if it outputs a file for d20Pro), it outputs a file of the appropriate name, but appends a ".*" at the end of the name? Is this by design at the moment as the function isn't working?

knight2142 January 2nd, 2012 06:34 PM

i was just building characters and received a freeze and program shutdown when adding items, specifically it happened right after a custom magic scrolls and wands.

here is the link to the error: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/6400948/HL%20error%20report.rtf

knight2142 January 3rd, 2012 04:23 AM

Something else I found, when using "Spaces" if you move which desktop HL is on then the program gets confused when a popup occurs, bringing you to the empty space.

UndeadDan January 3rd, 2012 07:18 AM

I have a similar problem to the one described above. I tried creating a race and subtype in the editor. After shutting down the editor, I cannot get it to open again.

I have tried shutting down Hero Lab and reopening it but that doesn't solve the problem. I will restart later and see if that fixes it.

Colen January 3rd, 2012 09:49 AM

Just wanted to say thanks for all the posts here with feedback. I'm still trying to catch up on stuff from the new year, but please keep posting stuff here and I'll respond to it as soon as I can. Thanks!