Lone Wolf Development Forums

Lone Wolf Development Forums (http://forums.wolflair.com/index.php)
-   Realm Works Discussion (http://forums.wolflair.com/forumdisplay.php?f=67)
-   -   Text Limit in Storyboard Plot Details? (http://forums.wolflair.com/showthread.php?t=56224)

ItsMerts July 16th, 2016 06:13 AM

Text Limit in Storyboard Plot Details?

Hello,
I haven't GMed in years so I'm at a stage where I am writing pretty lengthy plot points in the storyboard, such as dialogue for the npcs, and descriptive text for where the scene is taking place. It appears that there is a limit to how much text you can type in a plot point detail. I have gotten around this by using both the "description" box and the "gm details" box. Besides shortenting my notes, is there anything else I can do to write longer notes for scenes?

wurzel July 16th, 2016 04:11 PM

Long texts I put into their own topics that I can then link to the plot points. That way I can also have explanatory pictures included, as the old saying goes "a picture says more than a thousend words".

Grey Mage July 16th, 2016 07:17 PM

I would be curious to know if there is a limit to the size of text only in a snippet?

Vargr July 16th, 2016 08:18 PM

I find that wurzel's way is the way to go.

The story board is for a visual view of the flow and what belongs where with a short description along the lines of "right, that was what I meant".
Then link it to a topic for a full description, details and whatnot.

Cornelius July 17th, 2016 04:43 AM

As wurzel and vargr says I use the flow as a visual representation of the plot. Each plotpoint is a scene (either a description of a location or encounter) that is its own topic.

In the flow I only enter some information as a small write up of the scene, so I know what happens.

MNBlockHead July 17th, 2016 09:01 PM

If they didn't limit text import, I would imagine that the storyboard would get unwieldy. Attaching topics to plot nodes is easy. You can easily open the attached topic in a new tab to edit and later use the plot to navigate your plot. Also, with a proper topic, you can add maps, pictures, hero-lab profiles, format the text, break text into snippets for more granular reveal...

Joe July 18th, 2016 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grey Mage (Post 232239)
I would be curious to know if there is a limit to the size of text only in a snippet?

If there is one, it's pretty large. I'm not aware of an intentional hard limit on snippet size. If there is some limitation, it's easy enough to just use a second snippet.

ItsMerts July 19th, 2016 06:27 AM

Ahh, got it! That was very helpful, thank you everyone!

weogarth January 10th, 2019 10:29 AM

Rather than start a new thread, let me ask a related question here:

Is there a limit on the number of text snippets in a topic or section of one? I'd been adding a bunch of snippets in the Additional Area of a topic and now it's refusing to allow me more.

EDIT: After combining a couple snippets into one, reducing the # of snippets by 4, I still can't add one. Is there a character limit on the entire topic?

kbs666 January 10th, 2019 10:39 AM

It's been mentioned before but it's a rather large number.

weogarth January 10th, 2019 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kbs666 (Post 274828)
It's been mentioned before but it's a rather large number.

OK, well, my stuff is lengthy but it's all text and I can't imagine it's over 5k total.

I would guess 'rather large' is larger than 5k?

kbs666 January 10th, 2019 06:14 PM

I have no idea. I just remember some one posting either here or on the discord saying about what you're saying that they created a topic with a lot of snippets and eventually they couldn't create any more.

weogarth January 11th, 2019 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kbs666 (Post 274840)
I have no idea. I just remember some one posting either here or on the discord saying about what you're saying that they created a topic with a lot of snippets and eventually they couldn't create any more.

Ok thanks. Would be nice if LWD peeps chimed in about now :)

Merion January 11th, 2019 11:21 AM

I remember that too, but I think it was something like 65,535. Some databases and frameworks use the 16bit integer limit for some stuff.

Rone January 11th, 2019 02:25 PM

Hey, all!

There are several pieces to plots:

For the plot, the maximum length of a description is 1000 characters.

Same character limit for GM directions, plot nodes, and plot edge annotation.

Snippets are not explicitly limited, and there is no limit on the entire topic.

weogarth January 11th, 2019 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rone (Post 274863)
Hey, all!

There are several pieces to plots:

For the plot, the maximum length of a description is 1000 characters.

Same character limit for GM directions, plot nodes, and plot edge annotation.

Snippets are not explicitly limited, and there is no limit on the entire topic.

Thanks Rone. The category I'm working with is Locations. Can you tell me about limits there?

Farling January 11th, 2019 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by weogarth (Post 274864)
Thanks Rone. The category I'm working with is Locations. Can you tell me about limits there?

A Location is a particular type of topic.

Silveras January 11th, 2019 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by weogarth (Post 274864)

It may help if you post more details.

Is there an error message? Or is it that the "New Snippet" command is disabled when you try to use it? And so on.

weogarth January 11th, 2019 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silveras (Post 274868)
It may help if you post more details.

Is there an error message? Or is it that the "New Snippet" command is disabled when you try to use it? And so on.

No message, not disabled, just doesn't do the request. I put quite a few details in already.

Vargr January 15th, 2019 11:59 PM

My experience is that large snippets (and thereby large topics) become unwieldy and hard to navigate. Furthermore it slows down RW (says that guy who hasn't made the switch to 64-bit yet - but one of these days...).

I attempt to divide topics into several smaller snippets and if the topic is rather large, have sub-topics. In stead of describing the city guard's organisation in the topic of the town I would add a sub-topic with that info - or place it elsewhere entirely.

Now, back to sleep

weogarth January 16th, 2019 03:25 AM

OK, not really getting any answers to my situation here. Thanks for trying all. I'm submitting a bug report

weogarth January 25th, 2019 10:44 AM

In case any are interested, this is the response from the devs. It was accurate.

"So the user is running into a display limitation within Realm Works. The control library we are using has limitations in some places for the maximum size it can handle. This user has hit one of those limits.

Really, they should probably break up the topic into smaller bits for easier management. But, if they still want to keep all of the information in this single topic, a workaround I can suggest is that they create subsections. Since they are already in the situation that the Additonal Details section has too much to display exceeding the limits, they will need to create a subsection under Background for the moment. They then can drag one or two large snippets into that subsection. Once they do that, they should be able to scroll to the end of the topic and see everything there. They can then click on the Tool menu and move that subsection to be a subsection under Additional Details. And then they can drag snippets around into subsections to help organize things and still be able to see everything."

Rone January 25th, 2019 10:53 AM

Glad it worked!