Lone Wolf Development Forums

Lone Wolf Development Forums (http://forums.wolflair.com/index.php)
-   Hero Lab Discussion (http://forums.wolflair.com/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   Output Question: Can I reference a DLL? (http://forums.wolflair.com/showthread.php?t=11219)

Imper1um September 10th, 2010 09:58 AM

Output Question: Can I reference a DLL?

I'm planning on making a DLL to export information and output a special file.

Is it a possibility that I could make an Output to call a DLL Function?

Imper1um September 14th, 2010 09:06 AM

Anyone have any information?

Basically, I want to add another 'Export' Option which references a DLL.

Duggan September 14th, 2010 09:10 AM

I am nobody official, but I have my doubts that this is available right now. I'm guessing you want the ability to output it an arbitrary file format? As of now, your best recourse would be probably using Perl or a similar scripting language to translate the XML (or text or HTML etc) format to your own format.

rob September 14th, 2010 11:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Imper1um (Post 44192)
I'm planning on making a DLL to export information and output a special file.

Is it a possibility that I could make an Output to call a DLL Function?

Technically, you can mostly do this with Hero Lab. However, we haven't documented it anywhere, since we need to also document the file format that is provided as input. The file format is going to be massively changing in V3.7 when we add the ability for users to wholly customize output. So there's no point trying to implement anything like this at the moment.

Once we release V3.7, you'll be able to write your own EXE that will receive a standardized XML format file as its input. You can then generate whatever output you want via the EXE. Your external program will be able to be integrated into Hero Lab via the File->Output Extensions menu.

Duggan September 15th, 2010 05:30 AM

^_^ I gladly stand corrected.

Imper1um September 15th, 2010 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rob (Post 44420)
Technically, you can mostly do this with Hero Lab. However, we haven't documented it anywhere, since we need to also document the file format that is provided as input. The file format is going to be massively changing in V3.7 when we add the ability for users to wholly customize output. So there's no point trying to implement anything like this at the moment.

Once we release V3.7, you'll be able to write your own EXE that will receive a standardized XML format file as its input. You can then generate whatever output you want via the EXE. Your external program will be able to be integrated into Hero Lab via the File->Output Extensions menu.

Kick butt, man. I'll start work on the DLL. So, question, do you have to make it EXE, or does a .DLL (with a reference to a specific interface) work?

rob September 15th, 2010 11:39 AM

It needs to be a standalone program that Hero Lab will launch. The program receives a filename as a command line parameter.

For a basic idea of how this will work, you can refer to the Authoring Kit documentation for our Army Builder product. Once AB is installed, click on the Authoring Kit Manual link under the Start menu. From the main page, click on the "Writing Custom Extensions" link near the both for a basic overview. For specifics, click on the "Extension Files" link from the main page and then look for "Custom Extensions" near the bottom.

FifthWanderer September 15th, 2010 07:46 PM

So I'd be able to use this to convert a HL portfolio to a different markup language such as Textile? I'm using Obsidian Portal for my DCA/MnM3e game, and it uses Textile.