Lone Wolf Development Forums

Lone Wolf Development Forums (http://forums.wolflair.com/index.php)
-   Realm Works Discussion (http://forums.wolflair.com/forumdisplay.php?f=67)
-   -   Fantasy Grounds and Realm Works? (http://forums.wolflair.com/showthread.php?t=54434)

Nikmal December 10th, 2015 01:41 PM

Fantasy Grounds and Realm Works?

Any news on this at all? I would love to see Realm Works and Fantasy Grounds support each other and be integrated.

kbs666 December 10th, 2015 01:53 PM

I don't think LWD has said anything about integration with any VTT software.

Parody December 10th, 2015 02:09 PM

In the past when they've talked about VTT integration, d20pro was the mentioned product. (It mostly came up during d20pro's Kickstarter last year.)

I haven't heard anything about Fantasy Grounds integration, for whatever it's worth.

liz December 10th, 2015 04:29 PM

The "third-party application integration" feature that we added in our Major Update in October was the first example of app integration with Realm Works (users can now use Syrinscape through Realm Works). Other companies, like Mesa Mundi (d20 Pro) and Smiteworks (Fantasy Grounds), will be able to use that feature to integrate their own software and apps with Realm Works. While we've been actively talking with Mesa Mundi, we've also worked with the folks at Smiteworks in the past. Our plan has been for Realm Works to work well with a variety of VTTs.

AEIOU December 10th, 2015 04:42 PM

I'm a d20pro user but it's good to see that the same integration possibilities will be there for Fantasy Grounds. It's good to have options.

Nikmal December 10th, 2015 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by liz (Post 220408)
The "third-party application integration" feature that we added in our Major Update in October was the first example of app integration with Realm Works (users can now use Syrinscape through Realm Works). Other companies, like Mesa Mundi (d20 Pro) and Smiteworks (Fantasy Grounds), will be able to use that feature to integrate their own software and apps with Realm Works. While we've been actively talking with Mesa Mundi, we've also worked with the folks at Smiteworks in the past. Our plan has been for Realm Works to work well with a variety of VTTs.

Awesome! Thanks!

Lexfire December 11th, 2015 08:06 AM

I took the plunge on Fantasy Grounds through steam - I am in two active Greyhawk campaigns now. One using the Castles & Crusades rule set - with 8 active players, and a new weekly Greyhawk campaign starting later this month using the 5E rules set. I am learning a lot by playing with experienced VTT users as well as 2 very good DM's. We are utilising the Fantasy Grounds hosted TS server.

GunbunnyFuFu December 23rd, 2015 05:44 AM

Lexfire,

I believe we're in the same Castles group. I'm Glendarrion in that game!

All,

I would really like to see some intergration with FG and Realm Works. I currently run a 5E game in which I've purchased Player Licenses for Realm Works for my players, so that they have access to background info, who they've met and talked to, things like that. It works nicely!

Gunbunny

MNBlockHead January 8th, 2016 08:06 AM

GunbunnyFuFu and others that are using FG and RW, what does your workflow look like?

I run a game that is face-to-face with one remote player. So a VTT may make sense, which makes FG seem more useful. But I still hesitate, not because of the cost, but because I fear it will be a large investment of time to learn another complicated program and will greatly increase my game prep time. It seems like adding FG to my game would require a lot of duplicate data entry.

The cost of Fantasy Grounds with all the 5e content is high enough that I don't want to risk buying to try.

AEIOU January 8th, 2016 11:25 AM

I use d20pro for Pathfinder but my workflow can loosely translate to FG. How you enter NPCs/mobs would be the only real difference as HeroLab doesn't have 5e licensing.

1) Save maps in RW as dumb images (not smart maps) in RW until needed. Prep for the session: copy the map, import into d20pro, turn on simple fog-of-war, unhide the areas players can see immediately. I do make sure that I know how large the grid sizes are for my maps before saving in RW and I resize to ensure grids aren't truncated on the edges or white space is introduced. Done.

2) Save encounters in HeroLab portfolio in RW until needed. Prep for session: open encounter, export to d20pro format, import into d20pro, open map, place mobs. Done.

If the encounter isn't mechanics-heavy, I'll place a map token and wing it for stats.

3) Save PCs in HeroLab portfolio. Repeat encounter steps.

4) Use d20pro to display marching order, manage initiative, handle combat for NPCs. Players can roll in VTT or at the table and we can plug in the results -- we normally use VTT as it is much faster.

I prep ahead in RW and as needed in d20pro.