Lone Wolf Development Forums

Lone Wolf Development Forums (http://forums.wolflair.com/index.php)
-   Army Builder (http://forums.wolflair.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   And it was going so well...(Crash problem) (http://forums.wolflair.com/showthread.php?t=6250)

Bluefool May 23rd, 2006 10:07 AM

And it was going so well...(Crash problem)

OK, I'm working away this morning, and I get up to go fix lunch. Before I go, my file is working fine, everything has been recompiled and tested, works beautifully.

I get back from lunch, sit down to look at whats next, and...

Army Builder starts. It opens my data file. I select a unit. I select an option for the unit. Army builder crashes to desktop, no error messages.

It does this with any option.

It *dosen't* crash on other data files. (Including a different race in mine)

After a bit of wailing and gnashing of teeth, and a bit of beating my head into the concrete outside again, I sit down and make a list of exactly what I had been working on before lunch, and start ripping it out bit by bit with compiles and test after each bit.

When I remove an option with a priority of 5500, the crashes stop. The option was a footnote, with a link to a unit. (So that the unit would add, and the info in the description would get output as a footnote...looked great....once :) ).

I figure the best chance is I violated a rule I missed, but which one?

So, knowing its very possible that *wasn't* it and I just got lucky on the deletes, a couple of questions:

1. I know priority defaults to 100. But is there an upper limit? I had been splitting groups by 1000's to make it easy to keep track of a variety of items. Bad idea?

2. What else may have caused this? What should I have started looking for?

3. Why would it have tested fine, and then with no recompile at all did it start failing? I realize it may be impossible to ever know the real answer (which is far more likely to be user error than anything else), but I want to avoid it in the future.

Thanks!

harkan May 23rd, 2006 10:27 AM

is it doing a circular reference to something, i.e. the unit is referencing itself in the fottnote which then references the unit in the footnote which then refences the footnote etc etc, I have had a similar situation to this and AB did a very similar thing but syaing that I think I remember LW saying they had put a fix into ABC or AB to catch this happening

Bluefool May 23rd, 2006 10:35 AM

The *@&% mirrors!

(See upper post) *whap*

I had a lower level unit get the option from a mirror up above; the cost script for the option would have been trying to run in two diffrent places, at the same priority, with the same value.

Ok, valuable lesson three hundred and seventeen...circular refrences=blood on concrete.

Thanks!

Hmm...time to check the design over very carefully....

rob May 25th, 2006 01:34 PM

And it was going so well...(Crash problem)

Can you send me data files that crash for you? Ideally, I'd like to make sure AB doesn't crash with something like this. It should catch it and complain to you instead.

Thanks, Rob

At 11:35 AM 5/23/2006, you wrote:

Quote:

The *@&% mirrors!

(See upper post) *whap*

I had a lower level unit get the option from a mirror up above; the cost script for the option would have been trying to run in two diffrent places, at the same priority, with the same value.

Ok, valuable lesson three hundred and seventeen...circular refrences=blood on concrete.

Thanks!

Hmm...time to check the design over very carefully....

Bluefool May 26th, 2006 07:39 AM

Doh! Sorry Rob, I didn't think to save a copy of the version that was broken. I'll watch for that from now on.