Lone Wolf Development Forums

Lone Wolf Development Forums (http://forums.wolflair.com/index.php)
-   Realm Works Discussion (http://forums.wolflair.com/forumdisplay.php?f=67)
-   -   Storyboards as Flowcharts with Conditions? (http://forums.wolflair.com/showthread.php?t=61404)

daudvyd October 14th, 2018 02:03 PM

Storyboards as Flowcharts with Conditions?

Anyone tried to create complex flowcharts in the storyboard view? One way might be to describe the conditions in the connector text. But, that text is only viewable one at a time as a mouse tooltip. Another way might be to have two types of storyboard points, (1) conditions and (2) plot points, and to leave the connectors without any detailed text. Are there other approaches? By flowchart I mean that after a dangerous encounter, there are a series of questions and forks: (1) PCs harmed or unharmed? (2) PCs moving forward or retreating? (3) PCs have prisoners or no prisoners? (4) One or more enemies escaped to deliver message yes or no?

Acenoid October 14th, 2018 02:28 PM

I used it only twice :
- once for keeping a history of events and the next possible events in the "Metaplot" i had.

The other time I used it for a adventure where i ordered the different scenes. I just connected the topics as they were named and I used the "free flow" option so the overlapps are minimized. Often I created smaller flowcharts linked to each other.

kbs666 October 14th, 2018 05:57 PM

I tried to do that but it was very clunky. There have been many requests for improvements to the storyboard to make more complicated storyboards easier. We're going to have to wait for the CM and the next survey or at least the next time Rob is willing to discuss improvements to RW before we'll get any improvements.

Shadowy_one October 15th, 2018 11:50 PM

I use the Storyboard a lot. Basically my entire campaign is based on several linked Storyboards. :)

What I do is link the story board to entries in other parts of RW. That way the conditions are in the entry and I only have to map the different plot points. I also keep it pretty "high level". Big decisions are put in the Storyboard, locations and what happens their are played inside of the entries.

My favorite combination is to have one or more maps (for instance from a module) and use linked pins for the locations. That way I have the big picture in the Storyboard and the current action in the entries. Works fine for me, eventhough it is a lot of preperation.

daudvyd October 15th, 2018 11:55 PM

Thank you Shadowy One!

Valyar October 16th, 2018 03:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shadowy_one (Post 271666)
I use the Storyboard a lot. Basically my entire campaign is based on several linked Storyboards. :)

What I do is link the story board to entries in other parts of RW. That way the conditions are in the entry and I only have to map the different plot points. I also keep it pretty "high level". Big decisions are put in the Storyboard, locations and what happens their are played inside of the entries.

My favorite combination is to have one or more maps (for instance from a module) and use linked pins for the locations. That way I have the big picture in the Storyboard and the current action in the entries. Works fine for me, eventhough it is a lot of preperation.

Can you show some screenshots?