Lone Wolf Development Forums

Lone Wolf Development Forums (http://forums.wolflair.com/index.php)
-   Realm Works Discussion (http://forums.wolflair.com/forumdisplay.php?f=67)
-   -   What is the best way to move content? (http://forums.wolflair.com/showthread.php?t=58829)

Madmaxneo July 23rd, 2017 10:51 AM

What is the best way to move content?
 
I have most of my races under "Group: Ethnic" under the World Almanac, but I also eventually created a "Races of Mithra" category under the People section also in the World Almanac (newer races). I have since then realized there is a "Race/Species" section in the Characters tab under Mechanics Reference. I would like to move all of the races under the World Almanac in "Group: Ethnic" and "Races of Mithra" to the "Race/Species" tab under the Mechanic Reference.
I noticed that if I click the "Modify Category" button it takes me to the Manage Categories and Snippet Types section, and if I click on the tool icon there is an option of "Move To" with the option of "Mechanics Article Categories". I am weary of doing this because of the warning.
My questions are:
1. How will this affect the World Almanac?
2. Is this the best (only way) to move sections that I inappropriately placed in the wrong section?
3. What did you (anyone) do with the races in your world? What section did you place them under, or are there multiple sections for them in your RW?
4. I wanted to create a table in the Race/Species tab under the Mechanics Reference that has all the stat mods and other race info (racial skill ranks, abilities, etc) in it but there is no way I can to how to add content to this. Basically it is all the "mechanics" for each race.
A bonus question:
5: Is it better to keep them under the World Almanac or put them in the Mechanics Reference?

Grey Mage July 23rd, 2017 11:40 AM

I use the Mechanics Reference... It is very easy to organize everything you need there and then link to it.

Vargr July 23rd, 2017 01:44 PM

I use the Mechanics reference as well.

Description of races with stats and stuff like that does not really belong in the world.

Description of a race/tribes culture does belong in the world almanac.

In my opinion.

kbs666 July 23rd, 2017 03:44 PM

I have 2 sets of topics/articles.

Under ethnic groups I have topics that detail my worlds ethnicities of humans, elves, dwarves and halflings. In the mechanics reference I have the more crunchy stuff about each race, including a section detailing specific racial features common to each ethnicity.

This way a reference to Hinthon links to the Group:ethnic topic about the Hinthon elves while a more general reference to elves goes to the mechanics articles. Players building a new PC can look at the mechanics article to get the crunchy details the need, and if they want, follow links to get the rp details on the various ethnic groups.

Madmaxneo July 23rd, 2017 06:24 PM

@Vargr and @Grey Mage thanks, I think that is the route I am going to take. Read below please.
Quote:

Originally Posted by kbs666 (Post 253203)
I have 2 sets of topics/articles.

Under ethnic groups I have topics that detail my worlds ethnicities of humans, elves, dwarves and halflings. In the mechanics reference I have the more crunchy stuff about each race, including a section detailing specific racial features common to each ethnicity.

This way a reference to Hinthon links to the Group:ethnic topic about the Hinthon elves while a more general reference to elves goes to the mechanics articles. Players building a new PC can look at the mechanics article to get the crunchy details the need, and if they want, follow links to get the rp details on the various ethnic groups.

It all makes sense and I agree.
But for #4 in my OP: I wanted to create a table in the Race/Species tab under the Mechanics Reference that has all the stat mods and other race info (racial skill ranks, abilities, etc) in it. Vut there is no way I can add a table or content to this.
Is there a way to add any content to the parent for the Race/Species tab?

kbs666 July 23rd, 2017 07:52 PM

You want to add a table in the mechanics article?

That's pretty easy. You can do it manually, the table tools are in the format toolbar for doing so. Start editing a snippet, and you can insert a new table. You can also copy and paste a table from an existing source but I've had less than good results trying this.

Vargr July 23rd, 2017 08:42 PM

@Madamxneo:

Not sure what exactly you are talking about here (re. #4). To me it sounds like you want a way to have a snippet pre-populated with content (such as a generic table or other info), so that when you make a new topic some of the snippets already contains information.

No, there is (at present at least) no way you can fill a snippet with content in the Manage/Categories setup and have it carried over to the World Almanac or Mechanics Reference. It hs been requested nad is (IMHO) so logical and essential that I believe it will become a feature one day.

I have made a sort'o work-around: In the Mechanics Reference I have a topic that contains pre-populated snippets. I simply copy the contents over to a new snippet whenever I need something generic, such as a table for renown.

If this is not what you meant, see kbs666 answer :-)

Farling July 24th, 2017 01:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vargr (Post 253230)
No, there is (at present at least) no way you can fill a snippet with content in the Manage/Categories setup and have it carried over to the World Almanac or Mechanics Reference. It hs been requested nad is (IMHO) so logical and essential that I believe it will become a feature one day.

But you can create a single topic/article which you will use as a template, and then copy that topic/article to use as a basis for another article.

Vargr July 24th, 2017 03:18 AM

@Farling:

Correct - more or less what I am doing.

But I wish for for snippets to come pre-populated. Would be such a time-saver.

Madmaxneo July 24th, 2017 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kbs666 (Post 253227)
You want to add a table in the mechanics article?

That's pretty easy. You can do it manually, the table tools are in the format toolbar for doing so. Start editing a snippet, and you can insert a new table. You can also copy and paste a table from an existing source but I've had less than good results trying this.

I see no format toolbar in the "Mechanics Reference" under the "Race/Species" tab. The only option on that tab is a button labeled "Modify Category" with a blue arrow on it. There is an option to "Create new Race/Species article" but I wanted to include the tables for race info on the tab. Clicking the "Modify Category" button doesn't help either.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vargr (Post 253230)
@Madamxneo:

Not sure what exactly you are talking about here (re. #4). To me it sounds like you want a way to have a snippet pre-populated with content (such as a generic table or other info), so that when you make a new topic some of the snippets already contains information.
No not pr-epopulated though it would be nice to have such a thing.

No, there is (at present at least) no way you can fill a snippet with content in the Manage/Categories setup and have it carried over to the World Almanac or Mechanics Reference. It hs been requested nad is (IMHO) so logical and essential that I believe it will become a feature one day.

I have made a sort'o work-around: In the Mechanics Reference I have a topic that contains pre-populated snippets. I simply copy the contents over to a new snippet whenever I need something generic, such as a table for renown.

If this is not what you meant, see kbs666 answer :-)

I have went ahead and added an article under Race/Species and added the Race tables into that.

I just noticed something.
I can't seem to find a category for Experience Guidelines and Leveling up. Is there a category for this that I missed somewhere?


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 02:21 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® - Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
wolflair.com copyright 1998-2016 Lone Wolf Development, Inc. View our Privacy Policy here.