Lone Wolf Development Forums

Lone Wolf Development Forums (http://forums.wolflair.com/index.php)
-   HL - Pathfinder Roleplaying Game (http://forums.wolflair.com/forumdisplay.php?f=62)
-   -   Latest Update and Rites Publishing (http://forums.wolflair.com/showthread.php?t=45597)

Brolthemighty August 31st, 2013 12:03 AM

Latest Update and Rites Publishing

It seems that with this newest update containing the source file for 1001 Spells, there is now an error for those of s (or at least me) that have previous Rites files. Amy suggestion of the fix? Once I'm back at my laptop I'll link the specific error, and I've already filed a big report. However since it involves a 3pp product, I figured I'd post as well.

Brolthemighty August 31st, 2013 12:06 AM

Here's the error:

Quote:

The data files could not be loaded due to errors. Hero Lab will now attempt to load them in recovery mode. Once loaded, you can access the editor as normal to correct any errors.

The following errors occurred:

File: RitePub.1st (line 4) - Source - Duplicate record encountered ('RitePub')

AndrewD2 August 31st, 2013 03:49 AM

Note from Rite Publishing from the Paizo boards:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rite Publishing
If you read the email about the update you will find that the complimentary Hero Lab files were deleted, and are no longer valid, we have signed a license with Wolf's Lair Development and selling the Hero Lab files directly through Hero Lab.

If you wish to use the hero lab files you will have to purchase them.

This incompatibility may change when we do an update to the hero lab files, but we don't' have a scheduled update at this time.

You can fix the other problem by deleting the RitePub.1st file in the game system directory.

Also Rite Publishing has a bug report mechanism located at Rite Publishing Hero Lab Support

bertraze September 11th, 2013 07:52 AM

I'm getting a similar, but different error message myself. I assume it's because I have the old, freely-available files for 1001 Spells, but I'm unsure what to do about it.

Quote:

The data files could not be loaded due to errors. Hero Lab will now attempt to load them in recovery mode. Once loaded, you can access the editor as normal to correct any errors.

The following errors occurred:

File: RitePublishing_Sources_101spells.1st (line 4) - Source - Duplicate record encountered ('bPF1001')

Mathias September 11th, 2013 07:55 AM

Tools...Manage Third-Party Updates is where you can remove packages you no longer need (and in this case, packages that are obsolete and conflict with the updated material).

Dwayne September 11th, 2013 11:34 AM

It is only obsolete because LW made it that way. Before it was free with purchase but now that it is being sold by LW they want you to have to buy it instead of using your free copy. The only reason I bought the book was because it had the spells for hero lab included. This is just so crooked by LW and Rite.

bertraze September 11th, 2013 12:12 PM

I tried the Third-Party Updates window, but it didn't have an entry for 1001 Spells. I've still got the original .hl files that came with the PDF, but I don't know how to use those to figure out what files I need to delete to make everything work with however the files are packaged now.

AndrewD2 September 11th, 2013 12:35 PM

@bertraze why don't you e-mail me at andrew.betts (at) ritepublishing.com and I'll work with you to get it removed.

Qwilion September 11th, 2013 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dwayne (Post 165343)
It is only obsolete because LW made it that way. Before it was free with purchase but now that it is being sold by LW they want you to have to buy it instead of using your free copy. The only reason I bought the book was because it had the spells for hero lab included. This is just so crooked by LW and Rite.

Hi,

I am Steven D. Russell, head of Rite Publishing.

I am sorry for the inconvenience this may have caused you, its my fault.

If you have bought 1001 Spells specifically for the Hero Lab files and feel cheated by this change, I would ask that you contact me via Steve@RitePublishing.com so we can see what we can do about a potential refund.

Lone Wolf Development has nothing to do with this error, it is entirely my fault. The original files were developed by a fan, we approached LWD at the time and asked if we could sell through them they said no as they were not set up to do so at that time. So I set up the file as a complimentary downlaod for anyone who bought the PDF or Print product.

This has now changed and I made the call to go ahead with selling the files through Hero Lab, I delete the files from the product. The incompatibility for those who have the existing files was not something I originally expected.

As my email to all customers who had this we may correct that in a further update, but that will require me paying someone to code it as Rite Publishing is a one man micro-press that hires freelancers.

The money I would use to do this will be made from the Sale of products like 1001 Spells and the forthcoming Heroes of the Jade Oath hero lab files, which were developed by a unpaid intern who has since graduated.

Again my apologies, and thank you for your time.

Steven D. Russell
Rite Publishing

Brolthemighty September 11th, 2013 01:48 PM

I actually didn't have 1001 Spells but another Rites product that came with files. I was simply able to go in and delete the .1st file which cleared up the error. The new RP source was conflicting with the existing one.