Lone Wolf Development Forums

Lone Wolf Development Forums (http://forums.wolflair.com/index.php)
-   Realm Works Feature Requests (http://forums.wolflair.com/forumdisplay.php?f=84)
-   -   Quality of GM Life Improvements (http://forums.wolflair.com/showthread.php?t=52431)

Imper1um March 5th, 2015 12:12 PM

Quality of GM Life Improvements
 
Hello Devs, I'm actually glad on how well you've made this so far. However, there are some glaring QOL issues that I've run into that I would consider some big issues that I've run into.

(In no particular order)
1. Create Content based on Selection/Pin
If I highlight a selection of text, I should be able to right-click and create a new topic, bypassing the entire selection thing. Same with a Pin, I want to be able to go right to "Create Content for this Pin" based on the name of the Pin.

2. Draw on the Map
I would love to be able to create overlays, such as circles, rectangles and such on maps. A great feature would be to draw "paths," so they can see where the NPCs are going. Same with adding text. Heck, if I could create a region, by drawing a circle or rectangle or any other shape, and then be able to link that shape to an article, it would be amazing. As it stands now, I have to create another map for every Provence.

3. Update all Articles with Mentions of this Article
If I create an Article, I want the ability to have the system scan all articles in the entire campaign with mentions of that name, and make links if I need to. Right now, I have to go back and open each article and make sure mentions are linked.

4. When I right-click and click "Create Containing Article", it should create it right there.
This is a big issue. When I'm in the Story Almanac, sometimes, I'll do a "Create Containing Article," and it will be the previous place (World/Story/Mechanics), with the correct container, but the wrong type. It should default to "Person" if I right click under a person group and "create containing article."

5. Synchronize needs to happen automatically.
The idea behind the cloud is that it is always updated. When I make a save, that edit should be queued to be added to the Cloud. This is vital for my next problem.

6. Connected players should be notified when new information has been synchronized to the Cloud, or, better yet, their Campaign should automatically update with the new information, without leaving the Realm.
This is a serious issue, that's a pretty big issue. I bought one GM license and 3 player licenses under the guise that three laptops could be at the table, I could edit my campaign, and instantly, they see the choice. However, this is more like an emailed PDF than anything. Players should never be able to view the realm when their version is old. Live updates will skyrocket this thing into the stratosphere.

7. I wish I could give information to just one player.
This is just a personal preference, but there are some other uses, such as things that one player knows over another. I love it when I'm able to give each player just a tidbit of information, and they can choose when to reveal it. Its a powerful tool, but Realm Works doesn't allow this. Its either all players see it, or no one does.

8. Where is the Key/Value Text?
I wish I could create a Key/Value Text, just because I'm OCD. I'm not talking about Tags. I'm talking: "Physical Description: An ornate grey building, this temple to Veiloaria offers respite to any worshippers and travellers."

9. Why are Keys limited to so little characters?
I found this as a problem when I'm entering dates. I would love to be able to put in Arrived (Continent Name): MM/dd/yyyy

10. For all that is HOLY, allow us to ENTER in dates.
Oh...my...jebus. Seriously, being able to enter in MM/dd/yyyy, rather than navigating *needs* to happen. The Date picker is a pain in my arse.

11. When displaying the Timeline, the article name should be second.
The Timeline *needs* to be displayed like this:
- <GAME DATE> <KEY> <ARTICLE> <ADDENDUM>

It just doesn't make sense when a bunch of articles are in the Time Line.

12. HeroLab Connectivity
For some reason, I have to replace the HeroLab file every time I want to update it. I can't just make a change in HeroLab, and press Save, and RealmWorks steals it from HeroLab.

... I think that's all the rants and ideas I have right now. Great system so far.

davidp March 5th, 2015 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Imper1um (Post 205338)
1. Create Content based on Selection/Pin
If I highlight a selection of text, I should be able to right-click and create a new topic, bypassing the entire selection thing. Same with a Pin, I want to be able to go right to "Create Content for this Pin" based on the name of the Pin.

This is in there. Highlight the text, press Control-Q for quick create. What you highlighted is what the name defaults to.

For pins, if you fill in the name of the pin and then select to associate content with the pin and then click on the add button from the list of topics, it will pre-fill in the name you started with on the pin. Alas, if you select "Associate content with pin" right-click menu option, it won't do this and probably should.

Jhalad March 5th, 2015 04:56 PM

For #10, you can type in the date manually. I also find the "search engine" unwieldy and type my dates in regularly.

Imper1um March 5th, 2015 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davidp (Post 205352)
This is in there. Highlight the text, press Control-Q for quick create. What you highlighted is what the name defaults to.

For pins, if you fill in the name of the pin and then select to associate content with the pin and then click on the add button from the list of topics, it will pre-fill in the name you started with on the pin. Alas, if you select "Associate content with pin" right-click menu option, it won't do this and probably should.

I just tried this...it put in "Unnamed." Plus, I'd like to just go right to content creation, elimination of one additional step. :P

mirtos March 5th, 2015 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Imper1um (Post 205338)
Hello Devs, I'm actually glad on how well you've made this so far. However, there are some glaring QOL issues that I've run into that I would consider some big issues that I've run into.

(In no particular order)

5. Synchronize needs to happen automatically.
The idea behind the cloud is that it is always updated. When I make a save, that edit should be queued to be added to the Cloud. This is vital for my next problem.

I ABSOLUTELY would NOT want this. I like to save often, (like constantly) and wouldnt want a save kicking off a sync, because then players might see things before im ready. If this were to be implemented, i would absolutely want it to be an option to use.

Quote:

6. Connected players should be notified when new information has been synchronized to the Cloud, or, better yet, their Campaign should automatically update with the new information, without leaving the Realm.
This is a serious issue, that's a pretty big issue. I bought one GM license and 3 player licenses under the guise that three laptops could be at the table, I could edit my campaign, and instantly, they see the choice. However, this is more like an emailed PDF than anything. Players should never be able to view the realm when their version is old. Live updates will skyrocket this thing into the stratosphere.
Performance would be my concern. If you synched things like maps, how much would it slow down players computers during games. A notification is one thing.

"You are currently behind, not viewing the latest realm".

Quote:


7. I wish I could give information to just one player.
This is just a personal preference, but there are some other uses, such as things that one player knows over another. I love it when I'm able to give each player just a tidbit of information, and they can choose when to reveal it. Its a powerful tool, but Realm Works doesn't allow this. Its either all players see it, or no one does.
Thats always been planned. They just need to implement it.


Quote:

12. HeroLab Connectivity
For some reason, I have to replace the HeroLab file every time I want to update it. I can't just make a change in HeroLab, and press Save, and RealmWorks steals it from HeroLab.
Thats something i would like too, but its difficult, from what i understand. RW is a database, and HL are flatfiles... they could have had it point to the external files, but if you think about the logical conclusions of that, it could cause synching issues if you didnt have the same directory structure on other computers...

Imper1um March 5th, 2015 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mirtos (Post 205372)
I ABSOLUTELY would NOT want this. I like to save often, (like constantly) and wouldnt want a save kicking off a sync, because then players might see things before im ready. If this were to be implemented, i would absolutely want it to be an option to use.

That's why things default to "not shown." You click the green icon to make it shown. I want them to be able to see things as soon as I hit the save button, so that way there's no lag time. Right now, you have to exit, sync, then come back in order to view the changes, which make it a severe pain.

If anything, we could have a "don't sync" option, which prevents auto-sync. I'd just appreciate it if the system was always syncing to everyone connected at the moment.

Quote:

Performance would be my concern. If you synched things like maps, how much would it slow down players computers during games. A notification is one thing.

"You are currently behind, not viewing the latest realm".
Sending a couple of kilobytes every now and then won't hurt your computer, or your internet connection.

Quote:

Thats something i would like too, but its difficult, from what i understand. RW is a database, and HL are flatfiles... they could have had it point to the external files, but if you think about the logical conclusions of that, it could cause synching issues if you didnt have the same directory structure on other computers...
Well, the problem I had was that I can't click save. If I click "Open" on RealmWorks, if I click Save on HeroLab, it complains that the file is read only, and nothing saves in RealmWorks. All I want is for it to replace the file with the edited file.

mirtos March 5th, 2015 09:20 PM

Quote:

Sending a couple of kilobytes every now and then won't hurt your computer, or your internet connection.
You're not considering if I do any work on maps, and am not ready to reveal. megs of data. But if its an option (whether its on by default or off by default doesnt matter) but it should be configured at the Realm Level. Its important to remember that not everyone's workflow is the same. For me, there are absolute advantages to keeping a published database and a working database (non published/non synced) and even you have a point about viewing, I can, and often do publish basic info, and then have that revealed and then update the tags and dont hide something already revealed but arent ready to publish. Thats my workflow.

mirtos March 5th, 2015 09:32 PM

Also something to consider when considering the auto sync is how is the web interfce going to work? im actually curious about that in general.

meaning is it going to be redeployed every DB sync, is there going to be a time delay, etc..

(i have to imagine there might be multiple servers or perhaps multiple apps if its a web app based thing, but any auto sync would/could affect that)

ShadowChemosh March 5th, 2015 09:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Imper1um (Post 205373)
Well, the problem I had was that I can't click save. If I click "Open" on RealmWorks, if I click Save on HeroLab, it complains that the file is read only, and nothing saves in RealmWorks. All I want is for it to replace the file with the edited file.

Your using the "Click to View" you need to "Click to Edit the Data" instead. Then anything you do in HL will be saved back into RW.

Attachment 3629

mirtos March 5th, 2015 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShadowChemosh (Post 205376)
Your using the "Click to View" you need to "Click to Edit the Data" instead. Then anything you do in HL will be saved back into RW.

Attachment 3629

I stand corrected. Thanks. Sorry for the misinformation.


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 05:10 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® - Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
wolflair.com copyright 1998-2016 Lone Wolf Development, Inc. View our Privacy Policy here.