Lone Wolf Development Forums

Lone Wolf Development Forums (http://forums.wolflair.com/index.php)
-   Hero Lab Online Discussion (http://forums.wolflair.com/forumdisplay.php?f=95)
-   -   HeroLab Online + VTT (http://forums.wolflair.com/showthread.php?t=64028)

DJalin1 March 10th, 2020 08:25 PM

HeroLab Online + VTT

I am looking to start an online game with friends and family long distance. I have all the PF2 Books and HLO can handle the book keeping, but I am looking for a good Free VTT to run with it. I have D20Pro and I have played with it a bit. But is there anything that would work better for me to learn to use. Guess I am looking for a simple map / grid / fog of war VTT that doesnt need to handle the system since HLO Does

Thanks for any assistance gamers.

Valdacil March 10th, 2020 08:35 PM

There is a good summary here (a little dated but still valid) of Roll20 alternatives. You said 'free VTT' and Roll20 does have a free offering (albiet a bit limited). The author of the post is specifically discussing Roll20 alternatives, so doesn't list Pros/Cons of Roll20 itself.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Roll20/comm...ternatives_is/

DJalin1 March 11th, 2020 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Valdacil (Post 286862)

Thanks for the List
Anyone have any play experience with any of the listed VTT tools?

charlieluce March 11th, 2020 02:02 PM

I've used MapTool for years, and though it's admittedly quirky you can't beat the price. While it's capable of running advanced tools, I don't use the macro capability or game system frameworks, just the basic map capabilities (including Fog of War).

The main RPTools site appears to be under DDoS attack at the moment :mad: but you can download the latest version (1.5.14, not counting the 1.6 beta) at GitHub here and there is a documentation wiki available as well.

Duskrunner April 14th, 2020 01:48 PM

Hi All,

To add to this, have any of you figured out how to link HLO into any VTT, so that any changes that take place in HLO gets pushed into that VTT? I am thinking about starting a game and am looking for this feature for my players so we dont have to keep jumping back and forth, as well as updating. If so which VTT. I am not worried about price as I am of ease of use and functionality.

Nightstar April 14th, 2020 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duskrunner (Post 287840)
Hi All,

To add to this, have any of you figured out how to link HLO into any VTT, so that any changes that take place in HLO gets pushed into that VTT? I am thinking about starting a game and am looking for this feature for my players so we dont have to keep jumping back and forth, as well as updating. If so which VTT. I am not worried about price as I am of ease of use and functionality.

Can't be done. If you use HLC, you can do it, with fantasy grounds at the very least.

But no, HLO is all about the future, and that means using your phones at the gaming table in person only with a dedicated internet connection the entire time.

rob April 14th, 2020 08:30 PM

As has been established in other threads, @Nightstar doesn't agree with the path we've chosen for HLO, so s/he chose to be rather disingenuous in the post above. Alas, that was probably self-evident from the tone s/he used. :(

I have openly stated in various threads here that integration with VTTs is something very high on our priority list right now. We do NOT yet have something available, but we expect to have our end of it ready in the weeks ahead (not months, but weeks).

I'm not sure how much work is involved on the VTT side. I'm sure that will vary depending on the VTT and an assortment of factors. I do know that a long-time contributor to the aforementioned MapTools has expressed an eagerness to get the data from us and is anxiously waiting for the ability to integrate with that tool. That's based on his comments in one of the other threads where this subject was discussed.

So we don't have something in place yet, but we're working on it. And MapTool will likely be one of the first, if not THE first, to have some level of integration.

Hope this helps!

Dragnmoon April 14th, 2020 09:13 PM

I would recommend putting effort in contacting the VTTs that have greater interaction and (Offical) support for Starfinder, PF2 and Shadowrun.

Astral - PF2
Roll20 - PF2, Starfinder
Fantasy Grounds - PF2, Starfinder
D20Pro - Starfinder

I am not seeing one that has official support with Shadowrun, but I could be missing it.

Farling April 14th, 2020 11:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nightstar (Post 287841)
If you use HLC, you can do it, with fantasy grounds at the very least.

I'm fairly sure that this isn't an integration - it is export from HLC and an import to FG.

Proper integration keeps the character sheet in HLC/HLO and allows a VTT to interrogate and modify properties of the character on-the-fly.

Ualaa April 19th, 2020 08:00 AM

If you already have d20Pro, I'd stick with that.
It isn't free, but if you've already paid for it, then it costs you nothing to use.
It's the VTT our group uses and works fine.

You can use Roll20 for free, but you lose some of the features that are included in d20Pro.
Namely the line of sight stuff, to be able to see what is visible from a character or NPC's perspective.
I like to be able to disable other people's sight, to see if a character has Line of Effect to something.
If the PCs are ever separated, it's also good to have each see what they see.

You can have those features in Roll20, but then have to pay their higher tier subscription.
And after three months of that, you could have bought D20Pro (that you already own).

If for some reason you don't like D20Pro, Roll20 is free is you don't need "Shadow Casting / Line of Sight".

MapTools is also free, but it is script based.
You may be able to find a script that is close to what you want.
Or if you're comfortable learning their scripting language, you can customize it to do what you want.
If you just want to play D&D and have no interest in learning to script it, it's probably not the best option.

One of the features I liked about Hero Lab Online, at least when it was announced was that you could have your character in HLO and check buffs there.
That would update the URL of your character.
And VTTs would have the option of reading the URL for an "active with current buffs/debuffs" of the character.
So we wouldn't have to either export from Hero Lab (into the VTT format) or import from the VTT (reading the raw HL format).
There isn't really integration yet.
Also for our group, there is no Pathfinder 1e version that runs in HLO yet.