Lone Wolf Development Forums

Lone Wolf Development Forums (http://forums.wolflair.com/index.php)
-   HL - User Projects (http://forums.wolflair.com/forumdisplay.php?f=55)
-   -   Hero Lab Editor: Source (http://forums.wolflair.com/showthread.php?t=54939)

HippyCraig February 4th, 2016 07:50 PM

I tried what you suggested and removed the user file from the data directory. I made an assumption that when you compiled it was something that was permanently added to HL. Removing the file and restarting HL I can see that my custom stuff is now gone.

What does the compile actually do then from within the editor?

ShadowChemosh February 4th, 2016 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HippyCraig (Post 223465)
What does the compile actually do then from within the editor?

The compile is converting the "text" based information into binary form which is 100 times faster for a computer to deal with. This then allows scripts to work and to be able to quickly access Picks that are in memory.

In short it takes the text and makes it machine usable. Sense .user files can constantly be changed or new ones added it does this "each" time you start HL.

Hope that makes sense. :)

HippyCraig February 5th, 2016 06:00 AM

Ok, so the compile part of the editor just does the same thing as if I restarted HL, thats what it sounds like your saying. So if I remove the .user file it just removes that compiled file on restart.

Is that right?

EightBitz February 5th, 2016 06:40 AM

Yes. The only content that is permanently compiled is the official content released by LWD. All user created content, whether created in the editor or with the authoring kit, is re-compiled every time you reload the game system.

This is why one of the earlier comments suggested you make your changes with Hero Lab closed, but you don't even have to do that. When I make changes, I go to the File menu and select "Switch game system", then just reload the same game to see the changes I've made.

ShadowChemosh February 5th, 2016 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EightBitz (Post 223483)
Yes. The only content that is permanently compiled is the official content released by LWD.

Just as FYI this is not really correct. Even the content that LWD does is compiled each time on load. The only difference is that the official stuff for "most" game systems is encrypted actually so it can't be easily seen.

Quote:

This is why one of the earlier comments suggested you make your changes with Hero Lab closed, but you don't even have to do that.

Yeah I just say that to make sure the person "restarts". But you are correct you can change the XML all day with HL running and it won't care until you do a restart.

Quote:

When I make changes, I go to the File menu and select "Switch game system", then just reload the same game to see the changes I've made.

Doing "CTRL-R" is faster than switching games as then HL has to tear down the UI and rebuild it from scratch. :) Note this will also work 90% of the time even when doing Authoring kit stuff.

HippyCraig February 5th, 2016 12:26 PM

Thanks everyone I think I have a good handle on these files now, I was really getting tripped up around the "Compile option", but now I get it.

Thanks again.

Paragon February 10th, 2016 07:32 AM

There are even plenty of things that will be accessible without doing anything special after you make an editor change and just save the .user file. Its just a bit unpredictable.

ShadowChemosh February 10th, 2016 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paragon (Post 223831)
There are even plenty of things that will be accessible without doing anything special after you make an editor change and just save the .user file. Its just a bit unpredictable.

Nope that is not true. Without doing a "Test Now!" or CTRL-R no change in the .user file will actually affect HL.

charlieluce February 10th, 2016 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShadowChemosh (Post 223854)
Nope that is not true. Without doing a "Test Now!" or CTRL-R no change in the .user file will actually affect HL.

Well, I think he meant "Once you restart Hero Lab".

ShadowChemosh February 10th, 2016 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by charlieluce (Post 223884)
Well, I think he meant "Once you restart Hero Lab".

Ok. Totally could have read that opposite. Its 4 days to V-Day and I am SO overworked!!!! :eek: :p