Lone Wolf Development Forums

Lone Wolf Development Forums (http://forums.wolflair.com/index.php)
-   Realm Works Discussion (http://forums.wolflair.com/forumdisplay.php?f=67)
-   -   A New Tool? (http://forums.wolflair.com/showthread.php?t=60495)

MNBlockHead April 11th, 2018 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Parody (Post 265342)
Well, it's hard to beat free.

It has been a while since I've used One Note. I use Evernote for my notetaking and management.

Although I've seen people do some cool things with OneNote, it seems like it is far more work than it is worth. Does it autolink, or suggest links when you create content links?

kbs666 April 11th, 2018 06:44 PM

I don't think so. I know OneNote will let you add links to webpages but I do not recall seeing the ability to add internal links. It was one of the things that really drew me to RW from it when I switched.

daplunk April 11th, 2018 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MNBlockHead (Post 265439)
Although I've seen people do some cool things with OneNote, it seems like it is far more work than it is worth. Does it autolink, or suggest links when you create content links?

I use OneNote every day for work. It is indeed an awesome tool. Just not for RPG management IMO. It does not have auto linking. You can tell it to link to a topic/page by typing [[page name]].

So you need tell it where you want each link which is a fair chunk of work.

Grey Mage April 11th, 2018 10:34 PM

Same with myself...

OneNote is VERY useful for collecting information that I will later enter into RW... but as an information management system for an RPG on its own I find it lacking.

MaxSupernova April 15th, 2018 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MNBlockHead (Post 265439)

Consider Evernote a stack of interlinked index cards, and OneNote an interlinked notebook.

Slightly different paradigm, but similar in many other ways.

MNBlockHead April 16th, 2018 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MaxSupernova (Post 265530)
Consider Evernote a stack of interlinked index cards, and OneNote an interlinked notebook.

Slightly different paradigm, but similar in many other ways.

Thanks, that's helpful. And, like Gray Mage, I use Evernote to collect material to use in my games as a prep for what will go in RW.

I'm running Curse of Strahd now, though, so I'm not using RealmWorks currently. I use the book, Evernote, and have DnD Beyond open (not a fan of DnD Beyond for adventure material, but very helpful for pulling up spells and monsters or looking up a rule).

For combat tracking, college ruled notebook paper and pencil. :-) 5e is pretty easy and the Angry GM convinced me to stop dinking around with magnetic combat pad or software for something that just isn't as complicated as we like to make it.

I do find myself creating 5e characters in HLC, however, for the print outs. DnD Beyond's character sheet needs work. I find the online version clunky to use and the print-to-pdf functionality to be horrible compared to HLC.

Kairos April 17th, 2018 01:52 PM

I've moved a lot over to OneNote mainly because it is available on multiple devices, makes extracting text from images pretty easy, and is easy to get content into and OUT of.

mirtos April 18th, 2018 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by evildmguy (Post 265427)
Sadly, yes. In many ways.

I have to add myself to the disappointed list. I dont really use it. And I was a backer.

lfseeney February 12th, 2019 06:29 AM

Per Char I was told before the KS ended was working just the interface was clunky.

I am so glad I told my friends to wait until things were working to buy, as only I got taken.

I check back once or twice a year to see, if it is in yet.

AEIOU February 13th, 2019 08:57 PM

It is interesting (and sad) how many of us have stopped using RealmWorks.