Lone Wolf Development Forums

Lone Wolf Development Forums (http://forums.wolflair.com/index.php)
-   Hero Lab Discussion (http://forums.wolflair.com/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   Consideration before buying, HL and CM (http://forums.wolflair.com/showthread.php?t=14620)

Weasel November 17th, 2011 09:51 AM

Consideration before buying, HL and CM

HI all; new here. I currently use combat manager by Kyle Olson for running my weekly pathfinder game. Does anyone know if HL and CM are fully functional together? This is what I mean: I created a 5th Paladin/7th Holy Avenger with some free software, when I dropped the NPC into CM it made him a full Paladin and dropped the HA aspects. I am not sure if this is a CM issue (no replies on that forum still) or a pcgen issue.

Does anyone know if HL and CM work 100% together? If I drop a HA made from HL into CM will it work? If someone knows for sure that it does then I will pick up HL, otherwise I will have to scrap everything and just use Excel sheets that I have created. My friend has HL but I have been waiting about 2 months for him to respond, states always busy. :( Even if someone could just throw together a HA and email the HL file to me or test it themselves with CM (free) then I would know for sure.

Thanks all!!

Chris

chiefweasel November 18th, 2011 04:12 AM

Welcome. I doubt that the programs are 100% compatable. But if you want to build a character in HL you can create a pretty complete one. You can certainly have a multi-class character. At each level you assign the class for the char, so it can change with each level.

I think Holy Avenger is a prestige class?

If you like you can download the demo version of Hl and try it out. It wont allow you to svae the characters, or have any of the extra data packages with it but it will give you a good sense of how the program works and things like that. I would sugest doing that first and maybe asking some questions of the user community through these forums. Also in the tag line below, I have been creating demo videos on how to use Hero lab, feel free to check them out.

Weasel November 18th, 2011 08:52 AM

Thanks for the reply. I tried the demo version before posting and was able to build the Holy Vindicator (not avenger) in HL quite easily. Unfortunately, without being able to test run HL and CM (Kyle states CM supports HL and PCGEN, but PCGEN does not populate spells in CM and I have no way of testing if HL does/doesn't) to see if they work correctly I am hesitant to drop the money, especially as I would be buying all the books except beastiary since I DM. Is it at all possible for you to just throw a HV together and email it to me in HL format? I know I am a nobody here, but this is a test I must do before committing $$.

(I don't care for the combat manager in HL but I really like how easily it is to build a high level NPC quickly.)

Duggan November 18th, 2011 09:19 AM

Lone Wolf does have a 30 day money-back guarantee, so you can always purchase the program and the packages and if it doesn't work the way you want, ask for the refund and they'll cancel your code.

Weasel November 18th, 2011 10:45 AM

Ahh that is an option for sure. I don't mean to be a pain, but would not a simpler solution be even for someone there, if sending me a file doesn't work, try the combat manager + HL and see if they work fully (they do work together, just is everything there?). Once again, just seeing what can be done that is easiest.

Thanks for the replies.

Weasel November 18th, 2011 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duggan (Post 65912)
Lone Wolf does have a 30 day money-back guarantee, so you can always purchase the program and the packages and if it doesn't work the way you want, ask for the refund and they'll cancel your code.

Ok,checked out the agreement and from what I read a refund requires returning software to Lone Wolf directly, I see nothing about DL version.

"or if you purchased the Software directly from Company, then return the Software with a dated receipt within sixty (60) days of purchase to Company for your refund. "

rob November 18th, 2011 01:46 PM

In order to process a return for an online sale of HL directly from us, we simply need the user to send us a copy of the receipt email that is sent when the product is purchased. In reality, all we really need is the order number of the original purchase. If we have that, we can look up all the other details and take care of the refund.

There is a thread on Paizo's forums that is specifically for the Combat Manager. I'm sure if you post your question there, you'll be able to get the answer you need in short order. Kyle also monitors that thread himself, so you'll potentially be able to get detailed answers from the tool's creator. I think that's the best way to get the answers you're seeking with a high confidence in their accuracy. :)

Link to thread:
http://paizo.com/paizo/messageboards...gerApplication

Weasel November 18th, 2011 01:58 PM

I have posted there, no joy from Kyle. Not sure what I will do then, maybe just stick to excel sheets or buy HL, but then a real pain to do a return, especially since I lose $ in exchange rate.

Thanks all.

Stomphoof November 18th, 2011 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rob (Post 65943)
In order to process a return for an online sale of HL directly from us, we simply need the user to send us a copy of the receipt email that is sent when the product is purchased. In reality, all we really need is the order number of the original purchase. If we have that, we can look up all the other details and take care of the refund.

There is a thread on Paizo's forums that is specifically for the Combat Manager. I'm sure if you post your question there, you'll be able to get the answer you need in short order. Kyle also monitors that thread himself, so you'll potentially be able to get detailed answers from the tool's creator. I think that's the best way to get the answers you're seeking with a high confidence in their accuracy. :)

Link to thread:
http://paizo.com/paizo/messageboards...gerApplication

What email should we forward the receipt email to? I am going to have to get a refund because some of the bugs I am running into make it less worthwhile to use the software then I first hoped.

rob November 19th, 2011 02:38 PM

Refund requests should be sent either to support@wolflair.com or sales@wolflair.com.

May I ask what the bugs are that you're running into? If you could share them, we'd have an opportunity to find and address them to improve the product.