Lone Wolf Development Forums

Lone Wolf Development Forums (http://forums.wolflair.com/index.php)
-   HL - D&D 5th Edition SRD (http://forums.wolflair.com/forumdisplay.php?f=89)
-   -   A petition to WOTC to License Hero Lab! (http://forums.wolflair.com/showthread.php?t=60792)

daplunk June 15th, 2018 06:51 PM

A petition to WOTC to License Hero Lab!

Hi Everyone!

It's time to ensure LWD and WOTC know that we as consumers would like access to official Dungeons and Dragons 5e content within Hero Lab!

Please take the time to sign the petition and lets see if we can get their attention. Click the picture!

https://i.imgur.com/olnK37t.png

Fenris447 June 18th, 2018 07:37 AM

Not to be too contrarian, but I like the current state. I buy every book as it comes out, and I like not having to buy it all again digitally just to get it on Hero Lab.

I'm looking at you, D&DB.

dungeonguru June 18th, 2018 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fenris447 (Post 267355)
Not to be too contrarian, but I like the current state. I buy every book as it comes out, and I like not having to buy it all again digitally just to get it on Hero Lab.

I'm looking at you, D&DB.

D&DB shade aside, the current state and having official content available for purchase are compatible - you don't have to buy any pre-made stuff - you just have to be willing to code stuff in yourself (or hint: make a copy/backup of all the COMmunity files in your 5e folder, because the community will stop publishing official content if LW gets a license).

What I don't want to see is having to buy it for both HL and RW for the same price - which is why I would rather see a HL and RW merge somehow.

RavenX June 20th, 2018 06:37 PM

Keep in mind that if there is an official license you will have to pay for the books because the people who add the data have to get paid to do it. The Lone Wolf Staff doesn't work for free. And the Lone Wolf staff could easily implement features the community struggles with because they have full access to the source code, which the community does not get.

daplunk June 20th, 2018 07:14 PM

I would happily pay to avoid doing the work myself ;)

Malevolus June 21st, 2018 10:02 AM

Honest reply that is not intended to be rude or disrespectful. Since Hero Lab has indicated their future business model will be ultimately moving to the online subscription model, my personal future purchases will just move to DND Beyond. The offline classic tool was an overall better tool but there is no real reason for me to choose Hero Lab anymore because WoTC obviously won’t allow their own sales to be undercut in pricing by Hero Lab.

daplunk June 21st, 2018 03:22 PM

DDB is just another 3rd party company paying a license fee to WOTC. Curse aka Amazon set the price for their service. Therefore having more licensed products in the market will drive more competitive prices and innovation.

It's win win.

Mergon June 21st, 2018 09:38 PM

I hope that HL never goes to an online model like D&D Beyond, or WotC's online version from 4E.

I can't always play with an internet connection and have always found such to be a let down.

I fell in love with HL in its currect incarnation back when I played Pathfinder full time.

I'd love to see HL with a full license, and would pay for a 2nd set of books (Electronic) if its was available in HL.

I find D& DBeyond irritating in that in addition to having to buy the books, you also have to pay a month subscription if you want to have more than 2 characters. With HerLab, I've built dozens, if not hundreds of characters. I may not get to play them all, but they are there if I want them, or I need a fast character for a new player.

Fuzzy June 22nd, 2018 02:46 PM

I honestly don't mind the current state - it's not like D&D even has enough content to make maintaining the community pack difficult.

On a positive note (and making my care for 'official 5e' even more moot), they are supposed to be supporting the PF Playtest on release.

MNBlockHead June 28th, 2018 09:55 PM

For those who keep mistaking D&D Beyond for a WoTC product or THE official character app for 5e (as opposed to AN official app), Roll 20 just released its character maker, which supports 5e.

I've not tried Roll 20's Charctermancer tool yet, but it looks promising. More competition is good. It also gives me hope that there will eventually be support for official 5e content in Hero Lab.