Lone Wolf Development Forums

Lone Wolf Development Forums (http://forums.wolflair.com/index.php)
-   HL - Savage Worlds (http://forums.wolflair.com/forumdisplay.php?f=59)
-   -   Lizardman primitive hindrance (http://forums.wolflair.com/showthread.php?t=37827)

Erich February 13th, 2013 07:38 AM

Lizardman primitive hindrance

I'm still working on the Lizardmen for Space 1889 and am still having trouble with the double cost for knowledge skills thing.
So far the only code I have found will allow a double cost for ability scores or specific skills, but not all knowledge skills.
I could apply the code to all of the 1889 specific skills, since I had to create them anyway, but I still can't figure out how to apply it to all Knowledge skills.

Does anyone have any ideas or insights?

Thanks
-Erich

zarlor February 13th, 2013 07:47 AM

If you can apply it so a specific skill, have you tried applying it to the skill "skKnow" and seeing if that works? Since it would apply to all Knowledge skills I would think that would cover it, right?

CapedCrusader February 16th, 2013 01:02 PM

For the starting point thing, you could do a foreach loop on thingid.skKnow at Traits/10000:

Code:

foreach pick in hero where "thingid.skKnow"
  perform #resspent[resSkill,+,1,"Hindrance Name"]
  nexteach

This would add 1 more to the cost for each Knowledge Skill.

For the other part, you need to create a mechanic that happens at Effects/1000 that does this:

Code:

foreach pick in hero from Advance where "Skill.skKnow"
  eachpick.field[advCost].value *= 2
  nexteach

That will charge the character double for any Advances dealing with Knowledge Skills.

Erich February 16th, 2013 01:27 PM

So, taking this a step further if say I wanted to make say, shooting, cost double would I script
Code:

perform #resspent[skShooting,+,1,"Hindrance Name"]
and then
Code:

foreach pick in hero from Advance where "Skill.skShooting"
  nexteach

-Erich

Erich February 16th, 2013 02:09 PM

OK,
The code works, sorta.
Using
Code:

foreach pick in hero where "thingid.skKnow"
  perform #resspent[resSkill,+,1,"Hindrance Name"]
  nexteach

Does double the cost of knowledge skills for the first time it is chosen.
However if the skill is chosen more than once during creation say to knowledge skill 6, the cost is doubled for the first pick, but goes back to the lower cost for the next buy.

And the code for making knowledge skills cost double on the advance
Code:

foreach pick in hero from Advance where "Skill.skShooting"
  nexteach

effects everyone, I guess because it was added as a mechanic. Is there a way to make it affect only lizard men, or maybe, just people with the Primitive racial trait?

Thanks
-Erich

zarlor February 16th, 2013 02:59 PM

What if you put the second script in the Race instead of as a Mechanic? If that doesn't work you may have to just enclose your foreach loop in an if-then statement. So something like

Code:

if (hero.tagis[Race.racLizman] <> 0) then
  (your code)
endif

might work. BTW, you'll want to replace "Hindrance Name" in the above with something meaningful, like "Very Costly Knowledge" or the like.

Not sure on the first part, though. Where are you putting the script?

Erich February 16th, 2013 10:00 PM

I'm putting it in the script section of the Racial Trait "Primitive" and setting it to traits/10000

-Erich

zarlor February 17th, 2013 03:57 AM

OH, I think I see it. In the first script it's looking for every Knowledge skill in the portfolio, but it's only checking for the existence of the skill, not the level of the skill. So instead of picking just "thingid.skKnow" it has to work from the values instead. So instead of putting a straight "+,1," you'd have to do it something like "+,eachpick.field[trtFinal].value,", I think. Oh, and I said put that second script on the Race, but actually I meant it should also go into the Racial Trait you decided to use as well, again though, I think that might work, but definitely let us know if it doesn't.

Erich February 17th, 2013 08:45 AM

Well, It works as far as incrementing for each buy, but now it is assuming the base buy value is 3, instead of 2.

-edit- OK, after some further testing, what I am seeing is that the initial buy of a knowledge skill is costing 3 points and each raise is costing 2.
Unless the skill is higher than Smarts, in which case it is costing 3.
I think what needs to happen is that the initial buy and any raises should cost 2, and if the skill is over Smarts the raise should cost 4.

-Erich

zarlor February 17th, 2013 10:31 AM

Oh, the first part of that would be because a d4 trait value is 2, not 1 like you would need for the very 1st buy. Play with the logic a little and see if you can work through that and I'll try to think it over some more as well. You may also need to use a multiplier in there instead of a addition, maybe, to properly cover the greater skill/lesser skill thing.